"Fryslân – Friesland – Frisia" Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Friesland by vtveen
Provincie Friesland Travel Guide: 661 reviews and 2,100 photos
Fryslân - as its official name is since 1996 following the Frisian spelling - is one of the twelve Dutch provinces. It is located in the north of the Netherlands and is, inclusive four Wadden Islands en the Wadden Sea, the largest province of the country.
Fryslân is the only province of the Netherlands with its own official language. The inhabitants are quite proud of it. And travelling through the province you will see many (traffic) signs and street names in the Frisian language. It also has its own ‘national’ anthem (Fryske Folksliet).
The province has eleven cities with city rights; these are not always the largest towns and even sometimes just small villages. They are very famous for the so called ‘Elfstedentocht’; a 200 km’s long ice skating event over frozen canals, rivers and lake and along these eleven cities.
As it is not freezing (enough) every year, the tour can also be done in a different way. For instance by bike, foot or boat (see more info: http://www.visitfryslan.nl/frisian-eleven-cities/eleven-ways-to-do-the-eleven-cities-tour).
The eleven cities are historical towns – the oldest is dating back to the year of 1118 - offering interesting architecture or harbor cities along the IJsselmeer-coast. If interested in a sea/sun holiday you could head for one of the four Frisian Wadden Islands (Vlieland, Terschelling, Ameland or Schiermonnikoog).
Fryslân has by far the flattest scenery of the country, although it has some ‘hills’ in the Gaasterland region and along the border with Drenthe, nearby Appelscha. The south-western part has lots of lakes, connected by canals and they do offer great watersport opportunities.
Quite an important part of Fryslân lies below the sea level. That’s the reason you will see many ‘terpen’ - man made dwelling hills - sometimes with complete villages on top, but also with just one church. These ‘hills’ were created to provide safe ground during high tide.
- Pros:rather quiet part of the Netherlands
- Cons:a little bit out-of-the-way province
A visit to this ‘First Frisian Skating Museum’ is for us Dutchies an absolute ‘must do’, when coming to Hindeloopen. The... more travel advice
Princess Maria Louise van Hessen-Kassel served, after the death of her husband Johan Willem Friso - prince of... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Provincie Friesland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fryslân – Friesland – Frisia"
- "The Netherlands - STAVOREN - Friesland"
- "The Frisian lakes"
- "11 Cities Cycling Tour"
- "Africa in Friesland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincie Friesland
- Hotels in Provincie Friesland
- Transportation in Provincie Friesland
- Nightlife in Provincie Friesland
- Restaurants in Provincie Friesland
- Shopping in Provincie Friesland
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincie Friesland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincie Friesland
- 36 Reviews
- 156 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Provincie Friesland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincie Friesland
- Posted in Travel Netherlands Forum "Re: Are tulips still in bloom on..."
- Commented on one of vtveen's Provincie Friesland travel pages
- Wrote a Review Hindeloopen - Eerste Friese Schaatsmuseum in Provincie Friesland Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hindeloopen - picturesque city"
- updated a Provincie Friesland Travel Page "Fryslân – Friesland – Frisia"
Photos in Provincie FrieslandSee All Photos (156)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 304 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Friesland Intro, 34 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Gelderland Intro, 29 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Intro, 38 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oberstdorf Intro, 23 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Patmos Island Intro, 22 reviews, 79 photos
- Netherlands Intro, 16 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 17 reviews, 71 photos
- Provincie Groningen Intro, 16 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Noord-Holland Intro, 14 reviews, 62 photos
No friends yet.