"Groningen, rural countryside" Provincie Groningen by vtveen
Provincie Groningen Travel Guide: 894 reviews and 2,622 photos
Groningen is the most northern province of the Netherlands and is adjacent to the provinces Friesland and Drenthe and on the east side to Germany. Groningen has also three uninhabited islands in the Waddenzee.
Groningen has about 585.000 inhabitants (2014) and is one of the less densely populated provinces of the Netherlands. No wonder, because main parts of the province exist of meadows and other agriculture land.
Groningen has just three cities with so called city rights (Groningen, Appingedam and Winschoten), a couple of smaller towns (like Delfzijl, Stadskanaal and Veendam) and a lot of typical rural villages spread all over the province.
Groningen is easy accessible by car from the rest of the Netherlands along very good motorways. The distance from Amsterdam is about 190 km’s and will take (depending of the traffic) at least 2 hours.
The city has also very good connections by train with the main cities in the Netherlands. From Amsterdam every half hour there is a train to Groningen, which takes almost 2 ½ hours.
See for more info: www.ns.nl
The province has several train services to: Delfzijl, Roodeschool, Nieuweschans and Leeuwarden. Most of these trains do stop on other stations as well. Information: www.ns.nl or www.arriva.nl
Most of the towns and villages can be reached by a dense net of bus services, sometimes running not too often. If you want to visit the touristy sights by bus, better check first with your hotel/host or check at: www.arriva.nl
The easiest way to explore the province is by (rental) car, or just try to bike around as we Dutchies do often. It is by far the best way to discover the many ‘off the beaten path’ sights and the natural scenery of the province.
See official website of the province: http://www.provinciegroningen.nl/
Or wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groningen_%28province%29
Tips about the capital of the province, see my City of Groningen page.
- Pros:spacious countryside, friendly people
- Cons:(for Dutchies) far away, sights in the province a little bit difficult to visit
- In a nutshell:unexpected beautiful with a lot of interesting sights
We approached the ‘borg’ Verhildersum as it should be, which means we used the long stately drive way, lined with lime... more travel advice
Of course Pieterburen is famous (at least in the Netherlands) for its Seal Centre. But the village in the northern part... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Provincie Groningen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The province of Groningen"
- "Provincie Groningen"
- "Groningen, the upper best"
- "Cycling around in the province of Groningen"
- "Top of the Netherlands!"
- "Groningen, rural countryside"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincie Groningen
- Hotels in Provincie Groningen
- Transportation in Provincie Groningen
- Nightlife in Provincie Groningen
- Restaurants in Provincie Groningen
- Shopping in Provincie Groningen
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincie Groningen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincie Groningen
- 34 Reviews
- 128 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Provincie Groningen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincie Groningen
Photos in Provincie GroningenSee All Photos (128)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 69 reviews, 311 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Friesland Intro, 34 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Gelderland Intro, 30 reviews, 142 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Intro, 38 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oberstdorf Intro, 23 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Patmos Island Intro, 22 reviews, 79 photos
- Netherlands Intro, 18 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 17 reviews, 71 photos
- Provincie Groningen Intro, 16 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Noord-Holland Intro, 15 reviews, 66 photos
No friends yet.