"the Netherlands - my country on my way" Netherlands by vtveen
Netherlands Travel Guide: 33,207 reviews and 89,079 photos
The main picture is typical for the Netherlands ........
.... on my way.
These tulip fields are somewhere between Schagen and Callantsoog in the Top of North Holland on a bike trip. That is the way we like to do it. We visited the mills in Kinderdijk in bad weather on a day it was raining cats and dogs and the wind was howling along the mills. And so on ... on my way.
Visiting my country on that way you don't see many tourists, even on the most well-known touristy sights in the Netherlands.
And that is what I want to do with my tips about the Netherlands, just showing you unknown places, beautiful scenery, old villages, remoted areas (yes they are in the Netherlands), out-of-the-way castles and so on.
But you have to be patient, because I will only add tips about places, where I have been myself with my own experience.
The Netherlands on my way !!!
The Netherlands has a lot of terrific sights, which one should visit (if time permits). I consider them as 'Dutch icons' !!
For most of them I did make tips, for a couple I will add them as soon as possible.
Borger - Drenthe's Dolmens
Franeker: Eise Eisinga Planetarium
Lemmer: Woudagemaal, steam-driven pumping station
Apeldoorn: Paleis Het Loo: a must see sight
Arnhem: Winter in the ‘Open Air Museum
Alkmaar: inevitable cheese market
Dwarsgracht: water and bridges
Ouwerkerk: watersnoodmuseum - http://www.watersnoodmuseum.nl/UK/
Vrouwenpolder: Neeltje Jans Deltapark - http://www.neeltjejans.nl/en/
Kinderdijk: 19 mills on a stormy day
Noordwijkerhout: biking along blooming bulbs
And a couple of remarkable Dutch points/places:
Steenwijkerland: Nederland ultimate destination for foreigners visiting the Netherlands
Nieuwerkerk a/d IJssel: lowest point of the Netherlands
Vaals: Vaalserberg, highest point of the Netherlands
The Netherlands has a great and rich history. Everywhere in my country you will come across examples: varying from villages from the middle ages, through castles, till industrial monuments.
All these less known sights and/or hidden gems are gathered in provincial pages.
Drenthe, Flevoland, Friesland, Gelderland, Groningen- province, Limburg, North Brabant, North Holland, Overijssel, Utrecht, Zeeland, South Holland.
- In a nutshell:fantastic country with unexpected gems and scenery
Lowest point of the Netherlands The Netherlands is well known as a ‘low country along the North Sea’. Main parts of the... more travel advice
This little hamlet - it has about 25 inhabitants - should be the ultimate destination for foreigners visiting my... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Netherlands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A PRACTICAL AND PECULIAR GUIDE TO THE NETHERLANDS!"
- "A Great Place to Live In"
- "Margaret's Page"
- "Travelling around Holland"
- "Small Country, Big Variety"
- "BICYCLES RULES!"
- "Windmills, Flowers, Cows, Canals, and History"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Netherlands
- Hotels in Netherlands
- Transportation in Netherlands
- Nightlife in Netherlands
- Restaurants in Netherlands
- Shopping in Netherlands
- Warnings and Dangers in Netherlands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Netherlands
- 300 Reviews
- 1,263 Photos
- 435 Forum posts
- 12 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Netherlands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Netherlands
- Posted in Travel Denmark Forum "Re: Outside Copenhagen, what..."
- updated a Netherlands Travel Page "the Netherlands - my country on my way"
- Wrote a Review Nieuwerkerk a/d IJssel: 6,76 below sea level !! in Netherlands Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Nieuwerkerk a/d IJssel: 6,76 below sea level !!"
- Commented on one of vtveen's Netherlands tips
Photos in NetherlandsSee All Photos (1263)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 298 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Friesland Intro, 34 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Gelderland Intro, 25 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Groningen Intro, 32 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samos Intro, 26 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Intro, 38 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Patmos Island Intro, 22 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 17 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oberstdorf Intro, 17 reviews, 69 photos