"the Netherlands - my country on my way" Netherlands by vtveen

Netherlands Travel Guide: 33,207 reviews and 89,079 photos

The main picture is typical for the Netherlands ........

.... on my way.

These tulip fields are somewhere between Schagen and Callantsoog in the Top of North Holland on a bike trip. That is the way we like to do it. We visited the mills in Kinderdijk in bad weather on a day it was raining cats and dogs and the wind was howling along the mills. And so on ... on my way.

Visiting my country on that way you don't see many tourists, even on the most well-known touristy sights in the Netherlands.

And that is what I want to do with my tips about the Netherlands, just showing you unknown places, beautiful scenery, old villages, remoted areas (yes they are in the Netherlands), out-of-the-way castles and so on.

But you have to be patient, because I will only add tips about places, where I have been myself with my own experience.

The Netherlands on my way !!!

Must see's or must do's

The Netherlands has a lot of terrific sights, which one should visit (if time permits). I consider them as 'Dutch icons' !!

For most of them I did make tips, for a couple I will add them as soon as possible.

Drenthe
Ouwerkerk: watersnoodmuseum - http://www.watersnoodmuseum.nl/UK/
Vrouwenpolder: Neeltje Jans Deltapark - http://www.neeltjejans.nl/en/
Zuid-Holland
Kinderdijk: 19 mills on a stormy day
Noordwijkerhout: biking along blooming bulbs

And a couple of remarkable Dutch points/places:
Steenwijkerland: Nederland ultimate destination for foreigners visiting the Netherlands
Nieuwerkerk a/d IJssel: lowest point of the Netherlands
Vaals: Vaalserberg, highest point of the Netherlands

Other sights and hidden gems

The Netherlands has a great and rich history. Everywhere in my country you will come across examples: varying from villages from the middle ages, through castles, till industrial monuments.
All these less known sights and/or hidden gems are gathered in provincial pages.

Drenthe, Flevoland, Friesland, Gelderland, Groningen- province, Limburg, North Brabant, North Holland, Overijssel, Utrecht, Zeeland, South Holland.

• In a nutshell:fantastic country with unexpected gems and scenery
  • Intro Updated Dec 3, 2014

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2011 at 6:02 AM

Hi, Jaap! You have presented a very nice story about your beautiful country! Thanks! Long live the Netherlands!~

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Jaap, Ik has gisteren juist de entreeprijs voor Vreeburg-Schagen aangepast. Wat is er mis aan 4.00 Euro? PJ

• abi_maha's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Your latest tip reminded me of my visit to Muiderslot! :)

• Pijlmans's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2009 at 12:57 AM

Great tips...I still have to see a lot of my own country...Especially the Hunebedden! Cheers, Dennis

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Fantastic page which is definately going to help me plan our holiday. thanks ;-)

• Irinna's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2008 at 1:57 AM

These blooming fields look really fantastic! Greetings Irina

• jcarolj's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2008 at 1:06 AM

smeerling teehuis looks amazing -tables in nice grasses.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2008 at 6:44 AM

Very interesting page, as usual top quality tips and pics!Beautiful Kinderdijk pic!Thx4 the hi yest, did see&rate yr new tulip tip yest too.having a gd weekend i hope!

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Very interesting Tip about the dolmens. What a fascinating period of history this is.

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2007 at 6:43 AM

Thank you for your detailed tips, good directions, and nice photos.

vtveen Used To Live Here!

vtveen

“"The beauty lies in the travelling, not in the destination" (The Convent Inn, Val Marie SK, Canada)”

Badges & Stats in Netherlands

• 1,263 Photos

Have you been to Netherlands?