"the Netherlands - my country on my way" Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands by vtveen
Netherlands Travel Guide: 31,855 reviews and 86,661 photos
The main picture is typical for the Netherlands ........
.... on my way.
These tulip fields are somewhere between Schagen and Callantsoog in the Top of North Holland on a bike trip. That is the way we like to do it. We visited the mills in Kinderdijk in bad weather on a day it was raining cats and dogs and the wind was howling along the mills. And so on ... on my way.
Visiting my country on that way you don't see many tourists, even on the most well-known touristy sites in the Netherlands.
And that is what I want to do with my tips about the Netherlands, just showing you unknown places, beautiful scenery, old villages, remoted areas (yes they are in the Netherlands), out-of-the-way castles and so on.
But you have to be patient, because I will only add tips about places, where I have been myself with my own experience.
The Netherlands on my way !!!
This little settlement should be the ultimate destination for foreigners visiting my country. Nothing 'cooler' than saying, "I have visited Nederland".
The best way - in my opinion - to see the Netherlands is to walk or bike around. So in 'the things to do' chapter I will record all kinds of 'walk' and 'bike' tips in several parts of the country.
'Borger' - walk or bike along the Dutch Dolmens
'Noordoostpolder' - autotour to the tulips in the polder
Bolsward - on foot
Bolsward < > Bolsward, bicycle trip
Leeuwarden - Nassau/city walk
Oudemirdum - walking through ‘hilly’ Gaasterland
'Groenlo' - walking in a fortified city
'Kootwijkerzand' - hiking over drifting sand
'Ooijpolder' - biketour through fascinating Dutch landscape
'Zaltbommel' - more than 'gutter ghosts'
'Groningen' - city walk
'De Marne'- biking through rural countryside
'De Meinweg' - biketour through an unknown national park
'De Groote Peel' - walking along wetlands
'Heusden' - walking through a lively and lovely fortress
'Broek in Waterland' - walking in an authentic and picturesque village
'Haarlem' - walking along almshouses
'Laren' - a different way of shopping
'Marken' - loop walk to the lighthouse
'Schagen' - very typical Dutch bike trip
'Texel' - made for biking
'Delden'- walk around Castle Twickel
'Dwarsgracht'- bike or boat trip along canals
'Nijverdal' - walking over the Sallandse Heuvelrug
'Vollenhove' - cycling along 'wieden' and 'weiden'
'Gouda' - walking through the history
`Noordwijkerhout' - biking along blooming bulbs
The Netherlands has a great and rich history. Everywhere in my country you will come across examples: varying from villages from the middle ages, through castles till industrial monuments.
I will add tips about these spots in the 'off the beaten path' chapter.
'Assen': Drents Museum
'Havelte': dolmen and chamadron
'Franeker': Eise Eisinga Planetarium
'Joure': Douwe Egberts ‘vlecke’
'Sloten': the smallest of the 11 Frisian cities
'Apeldoorn': royal town
'Apeldoorn': royal view over the palace gardens
'Apeldoorn': Queen’s Day Attack Monument
'Arnhem': winter in the Open Air Museum
'Bronkhorst': (one of the) smallest CITIES in my country
'Elburg': walk through a fortified city
'Elburg': Zwaluwenburg and A.Vogel Tuinen
''s Heerenberg': inside and outside Huis Bergh
'Klein Amsterdam': the other Amsterdam
'Loenen': highest waterfall of the country
'Middachten Castle': romantic Christmas feeling
'Nijbroek' and its old church
'Staverden': just strolling around the castle
'Voorst': Verborgen Tuinen (Hidden Gardens)
'Vorden': Wildenborch: thousands of winter aconites
'Bourtange': back into the year of 1742
'Lutjegast': Abel Tasman village
'Niehove': perfect 'wierde' village
'Ter Apel': impressive monastery
'Eijsden': most southern town
'Griendtsveen": an unique peat village
'Houthem': St. Gerlachus Church
'Neer': Friedesse Water Mill
'Roermond': impressive Roman Cathedral
'Vaalserberg': highest point of the Netherlands (+ 322,5 metres)
'Valkenburg': Christmas Market
'Lierop': impressive dome-church
'Oploo': water and windmill
'Willemstad': fortress on the waterfront
'Woudrichem': authentic fortress town with a ‘blemish’
'Alkmaar'; inevitable cheese market
'Alkmaar': Wildemanshofje, quite different from the cheese market
'Weesp': a stone's throw from Amsterdam
'Blokzijl': (old) harbour city
'Hasselt': see the rare Snake's Head flowers
'Kampen': visit a cigar factory
'Amersfoort': seen from the water
'Tholen': Our Lady Church, most remarkable
'Kinderdijk': on a stormy day
'Leerdam': glass city
'Nieuwerkerk a/d IJssel': lowest point of the Netherlands (- 6,76 metres)
- In a nutshell:fantastic country with unexpected gems and scenery
When visiting Elburg I highly recommend a side trip to the ‘Zwaluwenburg’. This is a castle/mansion located nearby the... more travel advice
First we intended to do just the Nassau walk, but it turned out this walk offers a limited number of Nassau-sights. And... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Netherlands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A PRACTICAL AND PECULIAR GUIDE TO THE NETHERLANDS!"
- "A Great Place to Live In"
- "the Netherlands - my country on my way"
- "Margaret's Page"
- "Travelling around Holland"
- "Small Country, Big Variety"
- "BICYCLES RULES!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Netherlands
- Hotels in Netherlands
- Transportation in Netherlands
- Nightlife in Netherlands
- Restaurants in Netherlands
- Shopping in Netherlands
- Warnings and Dangers in Netherlands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Netherlands
- 295 Reviews
- 1,225 Photos
- 386 Forum posts
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Netherlands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Netherlands
- Posted in Travel Wageningen Forum "Re: Bus 52 time tables"
- updated a Netherlands Travel Page "the Netherlands - my country on my way"
- Wrote a Review Elburg: Zwaluwenburg and A.Vogel Tuinen. in Netherlands Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Elburg: Zwaluwenburg and A.Vogel Tuinen."
- Commented on one of vtveen's Netherlands tips
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 99 reviews, 425 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 297 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 40 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Top Netherlands hotels
- Amsterdam Hotels
- 10057 Reviews - 20885 Photos
- Utrecht Hotels
- 624 Reviews - 1484 Photos
- Noordwijk aan Zee Hotels
- 64 Reviews - 163 Photos
- The Hague Hotels
- 1221 Reviews - 2810 Photos
- Rotterdam Hotels
- 1408 Reviews - 3781 Photos
- Zandvoort Hotels
- 37 Reviews - 92 Photos
- Eindhoven Hotels
- 330 Reviews - 972 Photos
- Maastricht Hotels
- 1256 Reviews - 3216 Photos
- Apeldoorn Hotels
- 247 Reviews - 1028 Photos
- Nijmegen Hotels
- 413 Reviews - 790 Photos
- Groningen Hotels
- 429 Reviews - 1200 Photos
- Tilburg Hotels
- 164 Reviews - 439 Photos
- Haarlem Hotels
- 560 Reviews - 1404 Photos
- Bergen op Zoom Hotels
- 67 Reviews - 241 Photos
- Valkenburg Hotels
- 240 Reviews - 537 Photos