"Gisborne first city to see the sunrise" Top 5 Page for this destination Gisborne by vtveen
Gisborne Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 105 photos
Our first introduction to Gisborne was on New Year’s Eve during a television transmission of the celebrations of the new millennium. That was the main reason for our visit to New Zealand’s most eastern town.
In the meantime we had a second visit and now we do like this small town. It is absolutely not touristy, has some lovely beaches and (almost) always a sunny warm climate.
Gisborne has a lot of wineries and the nice Tairawhiti museum. Not far away lies the settlement of Whangara, where “Whale Rider” was filmed.
Off course Gisborne is also famous as the first place in New Zealand where Captain James Cook came ashore. In the town are a couple of statues of Cook and Young Nick. Although we did read that the statue on Kaiti Hill is NOT Captain Cook.
Last but not least Gisborne is the starting point for a (long) trip along the East Cape.
Sea View is a modern building with a lot of luxury and comfort. Ask for the room on the ground floor and you will have... more travel advice
In Mahia Beach (see other tip) starts a gravel road called Kinikini Road which brought us in the uninhabited world of... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Gisborne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home is where the heart is"
- "Gisborne first city to see the sunrise"
- "a short stay"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gisborne
- Hotels in Gisborne
- Transportation in Gisborne
- Nightlife in Gisborne
- Restaurants in Gisborne
- Shopping in Gisborne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gisborne
- 9 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (81)
Have you been to Gisborne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gisborne
Photos in GisborneSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 99 reviews, 425 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 298 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 39 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos