"Gisborne first city to see the sunrise" Top 5 Page for this destination Gisborne by vtveen

Gisborne Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 105 photos

Our first introduction to Gisborne was on New Year’s Eve during a television transmission of the celebrations of the new millennium. That was the main reason for our visit to New Zealand’s most eastern town.
In the meantime we had a second visit and now we do like this small town. It is absolutely not touristy, has some lovely beaches and (almost) always a sunny warm climate.
Gisborne has a lot of wineries and the nice Tairawhiti museum. Not far away lies the settlement of Whangara, where “Whale Rider” was filmed.

Off course Gisborne is also famous as the first place in New Zealand where Captain James Cook came ashore. In the town are a couple of statues of Cook and Young Nick. Although we did read that the statue on Kaiti Hill is NOT Captain Cook.

Last but not least Gisborne is the starting point for a (long) trip along the East Cape.

• Last visit to Gisborne: Feb 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 10, 2005

• amyLbrown2002's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2006 at 5:24 AM

Thanks for having a look at my Gisborne Pages, as a Gizzy Girl myself, I felt that the city wasn't shown to it's full advantage on here. So I thought I'd add my knowledge!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2005 at 6:04 AM

Jaap, another excellent page on your adventures in NZ! I dug out my National Geographic Atlas so I could follow your drive/walk in the Mahia Peninsula. Fantastic pics!!

vtveen

“"The beauty lies in the travelling, not in the destination" (The Convent Inn, Val Marie SK, Canada)”

Badges & Stats in Gisborne

Have you been to Gisborne?

Latest Activity in Gisborne