"Auckland: ‘volcanoes’ and ‘sails’" Auckland by vtveen
Auckland Travel Guide: 1,045 reviews and 2,313 photos
Auckland is by far the biggest city in New Zealand with more than 1 million inhabitants. They all are living in one of the many suburbs surrounding the inner-city on all sides.
These suburbs stretch out for miles and miles, because it seems every 'Kiwi' wants to have a home with a at least a garden.
The commercial heart of the city lies along the waterfront and goes up Queen Street with lots of commercial buildings, shops and restaurants.
Other important shopping areas are Parnell Road and Ponsonby and Jervois Rds.
Don’t expect the ‘normal’ Auckland tips like Sky Tower and Kelly Tarlton's on my page, but I will try to add more or less 'off the beaten path tips'.
Auckland has been built on an isthmus between the Abel Tasman Sea and the Hauraki Gulf. This isthmus came into being on about 50 volcanoes.
It is said they all are dead, or at least dormant (everybody hopes so !!). The youngest - Rangitoto - erupted about 800 years ago.
Nowadays all these volcanic cones are excellent look outs for a view of the city and the harbours with the islands. It does not matter which one you take - One Tree Hill, Mt. Eden or Mt. Wellington - you have to visit at least one.
Auckland is called 'city of sails'. And when you are driving around you do understand why. Everywhere along the waterfront you will find harbours with lots of sailing boats.
Thanks to America's Cup the Waterfront area has been transformed into a modern trendy neighbourhood with lots of restaurants, cafe's and vibrant (water)activities.
We saw both the America's Cup Regatta's in 2000 and 2002 in Auckland. Was a great experience to see this event, so important for most of the 'Kiwi's'. We still do have our own "red socks".
The Auckland Botanic Gardens are located more or less outside the city of Aucland, next to the Southern Motorway to... more travel advice
Mt. Wellington is situated in the Mt. Wellington Domain. It is one of Aucklands volcano’s, but not so ‘overcrowded’ with... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Auckland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Auckland"
- "AUCKLAND - CITY OF SAILS"
- "Between Rainforest and Traffic Jam"
- "Auckland - City of Sails."
- "Auckland Area Views"
- "Auckland - City of Sails"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Auckland
- Hotels in Auckland
- Transportation in Auckland
- Nightlife in Auckland
- Restaurants in Auckland
- Shopping in Auckland
- Warnings and Dangers in Auckland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Auckland
- 7 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 55 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (79)
Have you been to Auckland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Auckland
- Posted in Travel Buenos Aires Forum "Re: buses in buenos aires"
- Commented on one of 850prc's Auckland travel pages
- updated a Auckland Travel Page "Auckland: ‘volcanoes’ and ‘sails’"
- Wrote a Review home to 10.000 plants ... about Auckland Botanic Gardens in Auckland Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "different Devonport"
Photos in AucklandSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 99 reviews, 425 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 297 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 39 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos