Omapere Off The Beaten Path Tips by vtveen
Omapere Off The Beaten Path: 2 reviews and 4 photos
Kai Iwi lakes
On our way back from Hokianga Harbour to Auckland along SH 12 we made a detour to take a look at the Kai Iwi Lakes. Take the sign posted turn off near Kaihu, about 25 km's north of Dargaville and drive another 10 km's to the lakes.
The water of Kai Iwi Lakes (in a matter of fact there are three lakes: Waikare, Taharoa and Kai Iwi) is so crystal clear and has a wonderful turquoise colour. The lakes are surrounded by white beaches and pine forests. Kai Iwi Lakes are excellent for swimming, water skiing, sailing, kayaking & trout fishing. Surrounding Taharoa Domain has walking and mountain bike tracks. There is also a walkable access to the Tasman Sea.
Kai Iwi Lakes has two basic camping grounds and the area offers some accommodation.
Mitimiti - wild west coast of Tasman Sea
Before getting to Mitimiti you have to drive a windy and hilly gravel road from Panguru. Here you can have a coffee or a lunch before entering a more or less deserted piece of the country.
Mitimiti is a small Maori community with about 30 families and is situated at the wild west coast of the Tasman Sea.
Just enjoy the wildness and quietness of this very remote spot. From Mitimiti you can visit the Warawara Forest and the sand hills at Hokianga Harbour. There are also some beaches.
The village of Mitimiti has a nice meeting house called Matihetihe, build around 1920.
Take the ferry in Rawene to Kohukohu and from there the road to Panguru, further to the west to Mitimiti.
More Reviews (7)
vtveen's Related Pages
Omapere Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Omapere and Opononi"
- "Beautiful Ompere on the beach at Hokianga Harbour!"
- "Tiny but pretty Omapere on the north West coast"
- See All...
Explore the World
- Setti Fatma
- Tel Ashdod Hotels
- Mangalore Hotels
- Swansea Hotels
- Arriondas Hotels
- Daytrip to Bled
- Jekyll Island Off The Beaten Path
- Crete Island Off The Beaten Path
- Williamsburg Off The Beaten Path
- Poulsbo Off The Beaten Path
- Moorea Off The Beaten Path
- Nazaré Off The Beaten Path
- Lisbon Off The Beaten Path
- Day Trip: Montserrat
- Tromsø Off The Beaten Path
- Olhão Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Omapere
- 9 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Omapere?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Omapere
Photos in OmapereSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 98 reviews, 420 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 297 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 40 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos