"Omapere and Opononi" Omapere by vtveen
Omapere Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 74 photos
Omapere and Opononi are two small villages, situated on the west coast of Northland on the North Island along Hokianga Harbour.
I added my tips under ‘Omapere’, because we stayed already three times in this little unknown gem, but all the trips can be made from Opononi as well. During our last visit, around Christmas, we were surprised by a lot of beautiful flowering pohutukawa's.
Both villages are located on Hokianga Harbour with the magnificent huge sand dunes opposite the harbour. There are some lovely and remote beaches. And it must be an adventure to visit the sand dunes (have to admit we didn’t visit them till yet; just a reason to come back).
Just south of Omapere is Waipoua Forest with the most famous kauri of the country: Tane Mahuta. I consider the 18 km’s of highway 12 through the forest as the most beautiful road of New Zealand.
Around Hokianga Harbour we found the remote villages like Panguru and Mitimiti, accessible with the car ferry from Rawene, where still many Maori’s are living. A little bit further away are the Wairere Boulders, a ‘sea’ of basalt rocks.
- Pros:unknown, remote, real New Zealand
- In a nutshell:hidden gems in Northland
On our way back from Hokianga Harbour to Auckland along SH 12 we made a detour to take a look at the Kai Iwi Lakes. Take... more travel advice
On the way to our accommodation in Omapere we were looking for the Koutu Boulders along the waterfront of Hokianga... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Omapere Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Omapere and Opononi"
- "Beautiful Ompere on the beach at Hokianga Harbour!"
- "Tiny but pretty Omapere on the north West coast"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Omapere
- 9 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Omapere?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Omapere
Photos in OmapereSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 98 reviews, 420 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 297 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 40 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos