"Road trip Alice Springs to Uluru" Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs by vtveen
Alice Springs Travel Guide: 391 reviews and 1,233 photos
During our visit to Australia, part of an around the world trip, we ‘had’ to visit Uluru. After all one of the most famous landmarks of the country. But reading (books and VT) and seeing (TV) more about this destination, we discovered that there was a lot more to see.
And so we decided at last to make an one way trip with a rental car through the desert of the so called Red Centre from Alice Springs to Uluru. During this trip of three days we travelled along the Namatjira Drive, Mereenie Loop Road, Luritja Road and Lasseter Highway.
We visited the West MacDonnell National Park with its gorges, Watarrka National Park with Kings Canyon and Uluru Kata Tjuta National Park with the famous Uluru (Ayers Rock).
For driving the Mereenie Loop Road - between Katapata Pass and Watarrka NP - we needed a permit from the Central Land Council, which we bought at Glen Helen Resort. We used a 4WD car; although I can not judge if it is absolutely necessary, it felt quite comfortable to have some extra power on some bad parts and side roads.
There are plans to seal the roads between Kings Canyon and Glen Helen. If you do want to have a real adventure, you should hurry up, because on that moment this trip will lose a lot of its attraction and special charm.
We stayed in Glen Helen Resort, more or less luxurious, Kings Creek Station and Curtin Springs Station. The last two were very basic lodgings, but in our opinion more appropriate with the Australian Outback. And at least a lot cheaper than the more well known resorts at Kings Canyon and Ayers Rock.
Specially the day trip from Glen Helen to Kings Canyon was quite an adventure, totally on unsealed and sometimes bad gravel roads. Driving through the Australian desert with its red coloured sand, lots of green bushes and even trees in this wilderness, the white trunks of ghost gums in dry rivers. An amazing, stunning and breathtaking landscape, almost without other human beings and animals.
We have been three days in the Red Centre and this was just enough; we only regret we hadn’t not time enough to visit Kata Tjuta and to walk through these impressive rock formations.
Visiting in the middle of January sometimes the temperatures reached a height of 50 degrees Celsius !! For us this part of Australia will always remain The Red and Hot Centre.
I will post this intro and my tips in the Alice Springs and Uluru page, because VT doesn’t ‘offer’ a decent destination for the 'Red Centre'.
- Pros:breathtaking scenery
- Cons:heat, flies
- In a nutshell:an incredible adventure driving through the desert
Although limited in time , ‘of course’ we visited the Cultural Centre in the National Park. I think every visitor of... more travel advice
Coming from Curtin Springs Station along the Lasseter Highway we saw for the first time in our life’s Uluru from a... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Alice Springs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Base for 2010 VT Survivor Camp and Meet"
- "Rolling, rolling, rolling on the river......"
- "Alice Springs - not just in the middle of Nowhere"
- "Road trip Alice Springs to Uluru"
- "Jewel in the crown"
- "IMPREXXION: ALICE SPRINGS"
- "Welcome to The Alice"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alice Springs
- Hotels in Alice Springs
- Transportation in Alice Springs
- Nightlife in Alice Springs
- Restaurants in Alice Springs
- Shopping in Alice Springs
- Warnings and Dangers in Alice Springs
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alice Springs
- 19 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (79)
Have you been to Alice Springs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alice Springs
- Posted in Travel Breda Forum "Re: Phnom Kulen "
- updated a Alice Springs Travel Page "Road trip Alice Springs to Uluru"
- Wrote a Review Uluru - visit the Cultural Centre in Alice Springs Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Uluru - visit the Cultural Centre"
- Commented on one of 71stuman's Alice Springs travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 99 reviews, 425 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 297 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 39 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos