"Road trip Alice Springs to Uluru" Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs by vtveen

Alice Springs Travel Guide: 391 reviews and 1,233 photos

Alice Springs - Glen Helen - Kings Canyon - Uluru

During our visit to Australia, part of an around the world trip, we ‘had’ to visit Uluru. After all one of the most famous landmarks of the country. But reading (books and VT) and seeing (TV) more about this destination, we discovered that there was a lot more to see.

And so we decided at last to make an one way trip with a rental car through the desert of the so called Red Centre from Alice Springs to Uluru. During this trip of three days we travelled along the Namatjira Drive, Mereenie Loop Road, Luritja Road and Lasseter Highway.
We visited the West MacDonnell National Park with its gorges, Watarrka National Park with Kings Canyon and Uluru Kata Tjuta National Park with the famous Uluru (Ayers Rock).
For driving the Mereenie Loop Road - between Katapata Pass and Watarrka NP - we needed a permit from the Central Land Council, which we bought at Glen Helen Resort. We used a 4WD car; although I can not judge if it is absolutely necessary, it felt quite comfortable to have some extra power on some bad parts and side roads.

There are plans to seal the roads between Kings Canyon and Glen Helen. If you do want to have a real adventure, you should hurry up, because on that moment this trip will lose a lot of its attraction and special charm.

We stayed in Glen Helen Resort, more or less luxurious, Kings Creek Station and Curtin Springs Station. The last two were very basic lodgings, but in our opinion more appropriate with the Australian Outback. And at least a lot cheaper than the more well known resorts at Kings Canyon and Ayers Rock.

Specially the day trip from Glen Helen to Kings Canyon was quite an adventure, totally on unsealed and sometimes bad gravel roads. Driving through the Australian desert with its red coloured sand, lots of green bushes and even trees in this wilderness, the white trunks of ghost gums in dry rivers. An amazing, stunning and breathtaking landscape, almost without other human beings and animals.
We have been three days in the Red Centre and this was just enough; we only regret we hadn’t not time enough to visit Kata Tjuta and to walk through these impressive rock formations.

Visiting in the middle of January sometimes the temperatures reached a height of 50 degrees Celsius !! For us this part of Australia will always remain The Red and Hot Centre.

I will post this intro and my tips in the Alice Springs and Uluru page, because VT doesn’t ‘offer’ a decent destination for the 'Red Centre'.

• Pros:breathtaking scenery
  • Cons:heat, flies
  • In a nutshell:an incredible adventure driving through the desert
  • Last visit to Alice Springs: Jan 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 29, 2009

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Travelling in the outback in January??? Where did you get your advice? Lovely tips, lots of good information, thanks for sharing.

• Belsaita's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2009 at 4:01 AM

so great tips Jaap! I really enjoyed reading these.

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2009 at 5:01 AM

Jaap, Uluru is only 450 kms from Alice Springs! But I loved reading about your adventures enroute ;)

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2008 at 9:07 AM

Thank you for your information.I have been through your pages and I have had a really good time as they are very good and interesting You did a very good job !!!!!! Thank you!! Gracias !!!!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2008 at 1:12 AM

Wonderful 5star tip pg-sorry Ive not looked at this sooner!Very informative&lovely shots.Thanx for the motivating tour!A different way of life&a great place to travel with care...I lived in country like this in Queensland for 3 yrs...brings back memories!

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2007 at 1:18 AM

What a wonderful page!!! I enjoyed reading your tips and had the feeling of being allowed to go on this trip with you! And I am glad to finally meet someone who is satisfied with just being on the base of Uluru! Thanks for a great page!

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2007 at 8:04 AM

Excellent page!!

vtveen

“"The beauty lies in the travelling, not in the destination" (The Convent Inn, Val Marie SK, Canada)”

Badges & Stats in Alice Springs

Have you been to Alice Springs?