"Cairns - more than the Great Barrier Reef" Top 5 Page for this destination Cairns by vtveen
Cairns Travel Guide: 869 reviews and 2,212 photos
Visiting the Great Barrier Reef was on our wish list since long times and making an around the world trip we could fit Cairns into our itinerary. It was also our first serious visit to Australia.
Of course the boat trip to the Reef was the highlight of our visit, but to be honest we were, as ‘first time snorkelers’, rather disappointed about the services and help we got during our trip on the Compass.
Nevertheless the Great Barrier Reef itself was ‘a once in a lifetime’ experience.
But Cairns has a lot more to offer. To explore the surroundings we had a rental car for a couple of days, which allowed us to travel where and when we wanted. We made a trip to Kuranda and Mareeba and it was amazing to see how the landscape was changing from a tropical rainforest into (almost) a desert. A notice board along the road said: “Mareeba: where the rainforest meets the outback’.
Another trip was to the Atherton Tableland with its impressive Fig Trees and crater lakes.
Cairns is (of course) very touristy with every kind of accommodation between camping sites and basic hostels, through apartments till five star hotels (and they are still building new and bigger ones), an untold number of travel agencies, shops, galleries, restaurants and ….. everything you need as a tourist.
We were very lucky with the weather and for us it was indeed: ‘Queensland – Sunshine State’.
- Pros:Great Barrier Reef, the weather
- In a nutshell:‘an once in your lifetime’ experience
Having holiday in Australia for the first time, we felt we had to bring home an original Australian ‘souvenir’. Being... more travel advice
The last day with our rental we made a trip to the Atherton Tablelands, leaving Cairns to the south. In Gordonvale we... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Cairns Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cairns QLD more than a tourist city."
- "CAIRNS (PAGES UNDER CONSTRUCTION)"
- "Cairns - gateway to Far North Queensland"
- "Cairns - A Land of Contrast"
- "Cairns - more than the Great Barrier Reef"
- "Tropical North Queensland's landing strip...Cairns"
- "IMPREXXION: CAIRNS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cairns
- Hotels in Cairns
- Transportation in Cairns
- Nightlife in Cairns
- Restaurants in Cairns
- Shopping in Cairns
- Warnings and Dangers in Cairns
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cairns
- 18 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 36 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (79)
Have you been to Cairns?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cairns
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 99 reviews, 425 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 298 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 39 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos