"The Red and Hot Centre" Top 5 Page for this destination Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) by vtveen
Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Travel Guide: 460 reviews and 1,271 photos
During our visit to Australia, part of an around the world trip, we ‘had’ to visit Uluru. After all one of the most famous landmarks of the country. But reading (books and VT) and seeing (TV) more about this destination, we discovered that there was a lot more to see.
And so we decided at last to make an one way trip with a rental car through the desert of the so called Red Centre from Alice Springs to Uluru. During this trip of three days we travelled along the Namatjira Drive, Mereenie Loop Road, Luritja Road and Lasseter Highway.
We visited the West MacDonnell National Park with its gorges, Watarrka National Park with Kings Canyon and Uluru Kata Tjuta National Park with the famous Uluru (Ayers Rock).
For driving the Mereenie Loop Road - between Katapata Pass and Watarrka NP - we needed a permit from the Central Land Council, which we bought at Glen Helen Resort. We used a 4WD car; although I can not judge if it is absolutely necessary, it felt quite comfortable to have some extra power on some bad parts and side roads.
There are plans to seal the roads between Kings Canyon and Glen Helen. If you do want to have a real adventure, you should hurry up, because on that moment this trip will lose a lot of its attraction and special charm.
We stayed in Glen Helen Resort, more or less luxurious, Kings Creek Station and Curtin Springs Station. The last two were very basic lodgings, but in our opinion more appropriate with the Australian Outback. And at least a lot cheaper than the more well known resorts at Kings Canyon and Ayers Rock.
Specially the day trip from Glen Helen to Kings Canyon was quite an adventure, totally on unsealed and sometimes bad gravel roads. Driving through the Australian desert with its red coloured sand, lots of green bushes and even trees in this wilderness, the white trunks of ghost gums in dry rivers. An amazing, stunning and breathtaking landscape, almost without other human beings and animals.
We have been three days in the Red Centre and this was just enough; we only regret we hadn’t not time enough to visit Kata Tjuta and to walk through these impressive rock formations.
Visiting in the middle of January sometimes the temperatures reached a height of 50 degrees Celsius !! For us this part of Australia will always remain The Red and Hot Centre.
I will post this intro and my tips in the Uluru page and the Alice Springs page, because VT doesn’t ‘offer’ a decent destination for the Red Centre.
’Nganana Tatintja Wiya - We Never Climb
The Uluru climb is the traditional route taken by ancestral Mala men upon their arrival to Uluru. Anangu do not climb Uluru because of its great spiritual significance.
Anangu have not closed the climb. They prefer that you - out of education and understanding - choose to respect their law and culture by not climbing. Remember that you are a guest on Anangu land.
Also, Anangu traditionally have a duty to safeguard visitors to their land. They feel great sadness when a person dies or is hurt.’
Official website of Uluru – Kata Tjuta National Park
- Pros:breathtaking scenery
- Cons:heat, flies
- In a nutshell:an incredible adventure driving through the desert
Maruku Gallery and Walkatjara Art Centre are located in the Cultural Central in Uluru - Kata Tjuta National Park. Just... more travel advice
Of course we knew Uluru from pictures and looking at these it seemed to be just a solid massive rock in the middle of... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "G'Day from the Red Centre"
- "IMPREXXION: YULARA-ULURU"
- "Living at `The Rock`"
- "The Red and Hot Centre"
- "Uluru, Kata Tjuta and Watarrka NP"
- "Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park"
- "Uluru National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Hotels in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Transportation in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Nightlife in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Restaurants in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Shopping in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Warnings and Dangers in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- 19 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 36 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Posted in Travel Vaassen Forum "Re: De Leest Restaurant"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Kings Creek Station – Curtin Springs Station"
- updated a Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Travel Page "The Red and Hot Centre"
- Commented on one of RedEaredPanda's Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) travel pages
- Wrote a Review ... Aboriginal art and craft ... in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Shopping
Photos in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)See All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 99 reviews, 425 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 297 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 40 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) hotel reviews
- Sails in the Desert Ayers Rock Resort
- 730 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Desert Gardens Hotel
- 686 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Outback Pioneer Hotel
- 584 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Ayers Rock Campground
- 179 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- The Lost Camel Hotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions