"Land Sachsen - Saxony" Top 5 Page for this destination Land Sachsen by vtveen

Land Sachsen Travel Guide: 4,262 reviews and 15,512 photos

Lots of cultural and natural highlights

After reading an article in a (travel)magazine in the Netherlands about Land Sachsen, or more specific the "Elbsandstein Gebirge" (so called Saxon Switzerland), we decided to take a visit to this part of Germany.
Also a little bit curious about the former DDR and the changes that have taken place there.
Another reason was the flooding of the River Elbe one year before our visit.
During that time we did see lots of pictures in the newspapers and reportings on TV.

To be honest we visited just the part of Saxony around Dresden and the Saxon Switzerland.

Although we absolutely did not know what to expect, it was a great trip. With a lot of highlights, as well as cultural/historical as with a great scenery.

Fondest memory
We arrived on 2 October, just a day before a national holiday in Germany. And totally unexpected the lady from the Tourist Information Office in "Konigstein" told us all the accommodation was fully booked in town and for sure also in other towns. "Frau Tita" who happened to be in the office, heard this story and offered us staying at her home, although the guest room was not quite ready. While we were having dinner, she and her husband made the room ready and they succeeded very well. We had a wonderful time.
After a couple of days she mentioned her rates for the room; it was too cheap and we could not accept. So we had to decide about our own rates !!
(Familie Tita, Bielatalstr. 110, 01824 Konigstein, per-sven.tita@epost.de)

Cultural and historical

Almost every town or village in Saxony has its own palace or castle. And you will find a lot of interesting museums all over the country. Besides there are nice churches, among them we did admire some real gems in real small villages (see "off the beaten path tips").

Off course is Dresden a "must see activity", with a huge difference between the (restored) old part of the town and the more or less awful row of houses along wide roads. Typical DDR buildings.

In the towns along the Elbe you can see several marks (on buildings) of the 2002 flooding. It is hardly to believe the water was so high, sometimes metres above street level !!!

Landscape and scenery

Saxon Switzerland has an amazing scenery, which stretches more or less along the River Elbe between the Czech border and Dresden.

Although not the highest mountains, it is very rugged with vast sandstone rock formations. Mostly they rise straight into the sky. An ideal place for hiking and climbing.

• Pros:friendly people, rather cheap to stay and eat
  • In a nutshell:unexpected cultural and natural gems
  • Last visit to Land Sachsen: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Sep 21, 2010

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2008 at 6:25 AM

Germany never ceases to amaze me!Unexpectedly Ive had a nbr of trips to Germany&seen quite a lot but still didnt know these lovely sights are here to get back again for (in addition to my want to see Passau& Regensburg& EaglesNest)-yr pg is really lovely!

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2007 at 12:59 PM

I wish we had seen so much as you did. But at least there is a reason to come back. Fantastic page.

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2007 at 4:20 PM

Hi Jaap, nice work lots of good informative page and very useful tips BUT the Photos are what is tops thanks Hohnstein - castle looks wonderful!!!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2007 at 4:07 PM

You sure did get off the beaten path and my wife is even from there!

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2007 at 9:53 AM

the rock labyrinth sounds great - I remember those iron ladders well amazing rock formations in this area

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2006 at 1:53 AM

Fine photos and descriptions. Glad you had such a pleasant visit with such nice hosts. I have been to Dresden twice in recent years and find it a fascinating city.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2006 at 4:47 AM

Lovely page, thank you so much for sharing. I'll have to go back and see what I missed.

• dlandt's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2006 at 9:07 AM

Nice page. I took the liberty of featuring the bridge over Bastei for VT's man page. Great photo.

• MURRA's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2006 at 7:55 AM

EXCELLENT nice info on saxon sitz ,good fotos ,great bridge foto.very nice scenery

• Feb 19, 2006 at 12:38 AM

Jaap this is a fab page! I would love to explore this area of Germany, I had no idea before of the Sorbs of Bautzen and their language - great stuff! Dank u wel! Maria :)

vtveen

“"The beauty lies in the travelling, not in the destination" (The Convent Inn, Val Marie SK, Canada)”

Badges & Stats in Land Sachsen

Have you been to Land Sachsen?

Latest Activity in Land Sachsen