"Land Sachsen - Saxony" Top 5 Page for this destination Land Sachsen by vtveen
Land Sachsen Travel Guide: 4,157 reviews and 14,875 photos
After reading an article in a (travel)magazine in the Netherlands about Land Sachsen, or more specific the "Elbsandstein Gebirge" (so called Saxon Switzerland), we decided to take a visit to this part of Germany.
Also a little bit curious about the former DDR and the changes that have taken place there.
Another reason was the flooding of the River Elbe one year before our visit.
During that time we did see lots of pictures in the newspapers and reportings on TV.
To be honest we visited just the part of Saxony around Dresden and the Saxon Switzerland.
Although we absolutely did not know what to expect, it was a great trip. With a lot of highlights, as well as cultural/historical as with a great scenery.
We arrived on 2 October, just a day before a national holiday in Germany. And totally unexpected the lady from the Tourist Information Office in "Konigstein" told us all the accommodation was fully booked in town and for sure also in other towns. "Frau Tita" who happened to be in the office, heard this story and offered us staying at her home, although the guest room was not quite ready. While we were having dinner, she and her husband made the room ready and they succeeded very well. We had a wonderful time.
After a couple of days she mentioned her rates for the room; it was too cheap and we could not accept. So we had to decide about our own rates !!
(Familie Tita, Bielatalstr. 110, 01824 Konigstein, email@example.com)
Almost every town or village in Saxony has its own palace or castle. And you will find a lot of interesting museums all over the country. Besides there are nice churches, among them we did admire some real gems in real small villages (see "off the beaten path tips").
Off course is Dresden a "must see activity", with a huge difference between the (restored) old part of the town and the more or less awful row of houses along wide roads. Typical DDR buildings.
In the towns along the Elbe you can see several marks (on buildings) of the 2002 flooding. It is hardly to believe the water was so high, sometimes metres above street level !!!
Saxon Switzerland has an amazing scenery, which stretches more or less along the River Elbe between the Czech border and Dresden.
Although not the highest mountains, it is very rugged with vast sandstone rock formations. Mostly they rise straight into the sky. An ideal place for hiking and climbing.
- Pros:friendly people, rather cheap to stay and eat
- In a nutshell:unexpected cultural and natural gems
Hohnstein is just a little village in the middle of Saxon Switzerland. But 'far away' from th hustle and bustle of other... more travel advice
The small town of 'Königstein' is situated along the River Elbe and is an excellent starting point for exploring so... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Land Sachsen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sachsen / Saxony - a great county to explore..."
- "Saxony Tales"
- "Land Sachsen - Saxony"
- "Saxony - A Gem In The Heart Of Europe"
- "Beautiful Sachsen"
- "Saxony - Little Switzerland"
- "Pushing out"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Land Sachsen
- Hotels in Land Sachsen
- Transportation in Land Sachsen
- Nightlife in Land Sachsen
- Restaurants in Land Sachsen
- Shopping in Land Sachsen
- Warnings and Dangers in Land Sachsen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Land Sachsen
- 23 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Land Sachsen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Land Sachsen
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 99 reviews, 425 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 297 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 40 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Top Land Sachsen hotels
- Leipzig Hotels
- 520 Reviews - 1115 Photos
- Dresden Hotels
- 1335 Reviews - 4019 Photos
- Bad Schandau Hotels
- 107 Reviews - 421 Photos
- Görlitz Hotels
- 271 Reviews - 959 Photos
- Annaberg-Buchholz Hotels
- 58 Reviews - 365 Photos
- Zwickau Hotels
- 71 Reviews - 418 Photos
- Plauen Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 131 Photos
- Meißen Hotels
- 133 Reviews - 566 Photos
- Zwota Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Zwenkau Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Zöllnitz Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Zittau Hotels
- 75 Reviews - 216 Photos
- Zabeltitz Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Wittgensdorf Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Wilsdruff Hotels
- 2 Hotels