"Punta Arenas" Top 5 Page for this destination Punta Arenas by vtveen
Punta Arenas Travel Guide: 174 reviews and 430 photos
Punta Arenas (Sandy Point) is a city with more than 130.000 inhabitants. And we really wondered what of all these people are doing so far south almost at the end of the world. It is the capital of the Magallanes Region and was founded in 1848 and for a long time an important harbour to export wool. Two families - Menendez and Braun - were dominating the city and its surroundings for long time.
Although a rather large city its centre is not that big and has not much to offer to tourists, with just a couple of gift shops. Along Bories - the main road - and some side streets are shops, banks, restaurants, travel agencies, internet café’s and most of the lodgings in Punta Arenas.
The city itself has a couple of tourist sights: the main square Plaza Munoz Gamero, Mirador Cerro, Museo Regional Magallanes, the cemetery.
The Zona Franca is a duty free shopping centre, but has not too much to offer and was not as cheap as we expected.
Punta Arenas can be a good starting point for visiting Fuerte Bulnes or one of the penguin colonies (Seno Otway or Isla Magdalena). If you plan your visit smart, you can do this both sights on one day. In my opinion there is no need to stay much longer in Punta Arenas.
As wed did, most of the tourists will use Punta Arenas as a transport hub for Chilean Patagonia, because it has a modern airport with flights to Santiago and Ushuaia and frequent bus services to Puerto Natales and Torres del Paine.
Found a veru interesting free guidebook (English) about Punta Arenas and along the Straits of Magellan: http://www.inach.cl/circuitoantartico/guia/guide-english.pdf
- Pros:the airport, the penguin colonies
- Cons:at the end of the world
- In a nutshell:Just a transport hub.
We visited Punta Arenas during late spring (early December) and still it can be ‘winter’. Specially when visiting the... more travel advice
Walking down the long Avenida Bulnes from the Zona Franca to the city centre we passed the entrance of the municipal... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Punta Arenas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "the southernmost town in Chile"
- "A bit of history"
- "Estrecho de Magallanes - Tierra del Fuego"
- "Punta Arenas"
- "Where the wind blows Cold"
- "Punta Arenas - The most Southern city in Chile"
- "a warm city in Patagonia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Punta Arenas
- Hotels in Punta Arenas
- Transportation in Punta Arenas
- Nightlife in Punta Arenas
- Restaurants in Punta Arenas
- Shopping in Punta Arenas
- Warnings and Dangers in Punta Arenas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Punta Arenas
- 14 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 28 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (79)
Have you been to Punta Arenas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Punta Arenas
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 99 reviews, 425 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 297 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 39 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos