"El Calafate - glaciers and steppe" Top 5 Page for this destination El Calafate by vtveen
El Calafate Travel Guide: 292 reviews and 750 photos
The town of El Calafate is situated in the far south of Argentina. By far the most people will arrive by plane and travelling on that way we had some great views to the Andes Mountains and the turquoise coloured Lago Argentino (try to get a seat at the right-hand side of the plane for the best views).
El Calafate is THE (only) starting point to the glaciers of 'Los Glaciares National Park', a Worlds Natural Heritage site. I think at least '90%' of the population is working in the tourist industry and know they do have a monopoly for visiting this beautiful piece of Argentina. And this monopoly does make (tourist) life a lot more expensive than in other parts of the country. It does mean you do have to pay more for lodging, eating and tours.
But there is more to explore than the glaciers. El Calafate is also situated along Lago Argentino and the dry and vast Patagonian steppe, stretching along the Andes Mountains into the mainland of Argentina. This is a complete different landscape and we loved visiting this wilderness so close to El Calafate.
Avenida del Libertador is the name of the main street in El Calafate with a lot of shops, some of them offer very interesting souvenirs, (side walk) café’s, restaurants, travel agencies, rental car- bank- and post offices. Strolling along this road it felt a little bit like we were walking through an Austrian village in the winter, with lots of wooden buildings and young or at least sporty people coming from or going to the glaciers.
Of course we could ‘enjoy’ the Patagonian climate, varying in a couple off days (late November) between beautiful sunny weather and having a coffee on a sidewalk café, till a little bit of snow the other day.
But be prepared on wind, wind and wind. The most important garment for El Calafate is a WINDPROOF jacket.
- Pros:unbelievable scenery
- Cons:more expensive than elsewhere in Argentina
- In a nutshell:you have to hurry to see the glaciers
To make it a little bit easier to find information on the internet about El Calafate some links: Turismo El Calafate... more travel advice
This bird reserve is situated just 1 km from Avenida Libertador. A nice and relaxing one hour walk around a lagoon,... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
El Calafate Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "El Calafate: Between the Steppe and the Ice"
- "Wild and wonderful"
- ":: El Calafate ::"
- "Perito Moreno - a breathtaking spectacle"
- "El Calafate - glaciers and steppe"
- "El Calafate"
- "Glaciares y Estancias / Glaciers and farms"
- See All...
- Things to Do in El Calafate
- Hotels in El Calafate
- Transportation in El Calafate
- Nightlife in El Calafate
- Restaurants in El Calafate
- Shopping in El Calafate
- Warnings and Dangers in El Calafate
- See All...
Badges & Stats in El Calafate
- 18 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 59 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (79)
Have you been to El Calafate?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in El Calafate
- Posted in Travel Buenos Aires Forum "Re: buses in buenos aires"
- Commented on one of spidermiss's El Calafate travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Information on the internet"
- Wrote a Review Information on the internet in El Calafate Favorites
- updated a El Calafate Travel Page "El Calafate - glaciers and steppe"
Photos in El CalafateSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 99 reviews, 425 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 297 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 39 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos