"Travelling is a way of life" vtveen's Profile
Latest tips and pics
Apeldoorn: regularly new tips and pics
the Netherlands - on my way: page with an increasing number of tips about 'my country on my way'.
Oberstdorf, pleasant town
Fryslân – Friesland – Frisia, tips about the province of Fryslân
Bergen op Zoom, where hills meet the sea
Salta la Linda, indeed beautiful
Beesel, rural village in the middle of Limburg
Most viewed pages:
New Zealand; the most beautiful country on earth
Saskatchewan; land of living skies and not as dull and flat as people think.
Scotland; beautiful scenic country with real nice people.
Patmos, holy island of my wife's ancestors.
El Calafate, glaciers and steppe
Other favourite pages:
Argentina; we love the country and the people.
Easter Island; we got the special Rapa Nui feeling - it is so mysterious.
White Island; most overwhelming and breathtaking destination we have been.
Land Sachsen; unexpected gems in a scenic part of Germany.
Utah, rocks and canyons.
We are born and bred in Apeldoorn. In the meantime looking back on many journeys to lots of countries and looking forward to add many more in the future.
We already started traveling at young age; first around the Netherlands with a biketour sleeping in youth hostels or a holiday in a cottage near the North Sea in a village called Rockanje.
More or less after our marriage (long time ago) we became real travellers with first trips to nearby countries like Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany, mostly on our (Heinkel) scooter.
But we could not resist the temptations of other countries further away. So we travelled to Switzerland and Austria and did a lot of hiking in the mountains.
In the winter we are hooked on skiing and our favourite village is St. Gallenkirch (Austria).
Later on we went to the Dolomites in Italy and that was our number one spot for many years. We saw all the great mountains and the lovely scenery of the Dolomites.
Highlights: the crossing of the Sella and the wonderful views of the 'Schlern'.
After one of our holidays in the Dolomites we added two weeks in Tuscany. Our first hotel was in Santa Maria del Giudicea, a little village between the beautiful cities of Lucca and Pisa. And ended in Massa Marittima (will never forget the dinners on the main square) and Venice.
And that was the start of many visits to a wonderful country, which we travelled from North to South, seeing lovely places like Triest, Florence, Milan, Orvieto, Perugia, Assisi, Spoleto and Rome.
But not only the famous cities with all the cultural richness of churches, cathedrals and museums, we also loved the different sceneries like Tuscany, Umbria and Cinque Terre.
But most of all the Italian way of live.
In the autumn of 1998 we had as visitors an uncle and a cousin from New Zealand. They invited us to their country at the other end of the world.
And so we did on the occasion of the new millennium in 2000.
In the meantime we have been there four times and we do like the country and the 'Kiwi's' very much. It is by far our number one spot in the world.
We travelled both the South and North Island and it is hard to say what we do like most in this country with its overwhelming scenery and very nice people.
A top five list:
- White Island: an active volcano
- Palliser Bay: with lots of fur seals
- Abel Tasman National Park: golden beaches, native bush
- Cape Reinga: great views, most northerly point
- Cathedral Cove - Coromandel, most lovely beach you can imagine.
Having relatives also in Canada we 'had' to go over the Ocean to see them too. They live in Regina and Ottawa and so we visited both Saskatchewan and Ontario.
We like the impressive plains of SK with the living skies above it. But also towns like Regina and Saskatoon and nice little rural villages like Lumsden and Fort Qu'Appelle. Saskatchewan has a lot more than its plains. Take a look in Leader with the Great Sand Hills, Val Marie with Grasslands National Park and Maple Creek and Cypress Hills.
The eastern part of Canada has its own charm with big cities like Toronto, Montreal, Quebec and Ottawa, as well as some fantastic scenery like the Niagara Falls, Algonquin and Gatineau Park with the Mackenzie King Estate. Especially the fall colours are stunning.
In the year 2004 we also visited Alberta with the plains and the Rockies and did drive the famous Icefields Parkway between Jasper and Banff. In the Jasper and Banff National Park we had some encounters with wild animals, even with a black bear !!
We started in Drumheller and finished our visit in Calgary.
In the meantime we did a lot of travelling in Europe. Always trying to find 'new' countries, regions or towns.
And so we do have some of them on our list today:
Norway, Ireland, England, Scotland, Germany (Saxony), Portugal, Spain, Austria (Vienna), Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Greece (Athens, Crete, Samos, Patmos) and Turkey (Istanbul).
We intend to discover more !!
.. from our ‘around the world trip’, which we made from November 2005 till February 2006. It was such a GREAT experience, we will never forget. Lots of impressions and even more stories and pictures to deal with.
We have been to:
Argentina: Buenos Aires, Puerto Iguazù, El Calafate.
(due to s strike of the pilots of Aerolineas Argentinas we never saw the whales at Peninsula Valdes)
Chile: Puerto Natales, Punta Arenas, Santiago.
Easter Island: although part of Chile, so very special and absolutely different from anything else in the world.
New Zealand: Auckland, Auckland Region, Coromandel, Northland.
Australia: Cairns, Alice Springs, Uluru,Fremantle, Perth.
Thailand: Bangkok, Isaan, Sukhothai, Chiang Mai
I'm still building my pages, please be patient and come back ...
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Subic Hotels
- Las Vegas Hotels
- Parish of Portland Hotels
- Key West Hotels
- Bacolod City Hotels
- Niagara Falls Hotels
- Boracay Island Hotels
- Davao Hotels
- Baclaran Hotels
- Puerto Princesa Hotels
- Karachi Hotels
- Munnar Hotels
- Ottawa Hotels
- Atlantic City Hotels
- La Sal Junction Hotels
- St. John's Hotels
- Boon Lay Hotels
- Winnipeg Hotels
- Abu Dhabi Hotels
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
“"The beauty lies in the travelling, not in the destination" (The Convent Inn, Val Marie SK, Canada)”
- Member Rank:
- 0 0 1 1 5
- Forum Rank:
- 0 0 0 8 7
- Real Name
- Apeldoorn, Netherlands
- Member Since
- Jul 17, 2004
- 1,537 Reviews
- 4,759 Photos
- Add Friend
- Send Message
Badges & Stats
- 1,537 Reviews
- 4,759 Photos
- 15 Countries
- 47 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
- Posted in Travel Vaassen Forum "Re: De Leest Restaurant"
- Commented on tiabunna's profile page
- Uploaded a Photo to "Verhildersum – a 19th century visit"
updated their Profile Page "Travelling is a way of life"
- updated a Punta Arenas Travel Page "Punta Arenas"
- Wrote a Review Elburg: Zwaluwenburg and A.Vogel Tuinen. in Netherlands Off The Beaten Path
- vtveen and pieter_jan_v are now friends.
PhotosSee All Photos (4759)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 99 reviews, 425 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 297 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 40 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
- Paris Hotels
- 22488 Reviews - 55061 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7927 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23330 Reviews - 48936 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2029 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3099 Reviews - 5883 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 781 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2059 Reviews - 3877 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22906 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26769 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos