"Nessebar , My Favorite place on the Black Sea" Top 5 Page for this destination Nesebar by desert_princess
Nesebar Travel Guide: 224 reviews and 631 photos
My nessebar photo album was featured on webshots home page on 16 march 2008 >Click here to Enjoy the Album
Nessebar is one of the most ancient towns on our territory, founded in 510 BC under the name of Messemvria. It is famous for its antique churches and fortifications from the Roman and Byzantine empires, that offer a spectacular mix with the houses from the Bulgarian Revival period of the 18th century .
The town is situated on a small rocky peninsula in the north end of the Bourgas bay. His emplacement is crucial for stopping the waves to the wide sand line of Sunny beach resort.
Nessebar covers an area of around 25ha and is connected to the main land with a narrow road long 400m split in the middle by an old windmill.
It is located a bit aside, on the panorama road connecting the South to the North coastline. 35 km to Bourgas and 100km from Varna
Nessebar is part of the UNESCO world heritage since 1983.
here s the description that UNESCO gave for the town:
"Situated on a rocky peninsula on the Black Sea, the more than 3,000-year-old site of Nessebar was originally a Thracian settlement (Menebria). At the beginning of the 6th century B.C., the city became a Greek colony. The city's remains, which date mostly from the Hellenistic period, include the acropolis, a temple of Apollo, an agora and a wall from the Thracian fortifications. Among other monuments, the Stara Mitropolia Basilica and the fortress date from the Middle Ages, when this was one of the most important Byzantine towns on the west coast of the Black Sea. Wooden houses built in the 19th century are typical of the Black Sea architecture of the period. "
14 mai 2006 - The Magic of this place makes me come back again...and again...and again....
The more I travel, the more I make refefences with other places I've seen. Nessebar for example could be a partner city with Bansko - because of its similar architecture , or with Lindau / Bavaria / Germany - for both being peninsulas with traditionnal architecture.
- Pros:Beautiful Village with a special Charm
- Cons:Very Crowded in July and August
- In a nutshell:Charming Bulgarian Village with lots of Ruins and old Orthodox Churches - a Must if you are on vacation in Sunny Beach
I only saw him once... First there were these notes in the air ,as I was climbing the stairs to the church. Than the... more travel advice
desert_princess' Related Pages
Nesebar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Autumn in Old NESSEBAR"
- "Nessebar , My Favorite place on the Black Sea"
- "Mixing of Cultures"
- "Nesebur (Bulgaria)"
- "A Town - Museum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nesebar
- Hotels in Nesebar
- Transportation in Nesebar
- Nightlife in Nesebar
- Restaurants in Nesebar
- Shopping in Nesebar
- Warnings and Dangers in Nesebar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nesebar
- 41 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Nesebar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nesebar
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sofia Intro, 149 reviews, 320 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 75 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sunny Beach Intro, 82 reviews, 130 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ischgl Intro, 58 reviews, 148 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bulgaria Intro, 75 reviews, 75 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Innsbruck Intro, 48 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rilski Manastir Intro, 32 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wiener Neustadt Intro, 38 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nauders Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 40 reviews, 76 photos