"RILA MONASTERY - The Spirit of Bulgarians" Top 5 Page for this destination Rilski Manastir by desert_princess
Rilski Manastir Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 297 photos
If there is one place I recommend to see in Bulgaria,it will be The Rila Monastery.It is the heart and soul of Bulgarians, a cradle of the ancient slavic spirit that preserved our nation through the 5 centuries of turkish invasion. A real piece of art , wherever your eyes turn, you just can't get enough of its beauty....
Situated 120km from Sofia, 52 km from Dupnitsa and 22km from the village of Rila,the Rila monastery is nestled in the heart of Rila Mountain in the narrow canyon of Rilska river ,surrounded by mountain peaks up to 2700m . The Monastery is build at 1 147m of altitude over an area of 8 800 square meters,from which the wings occupy 4 500sq.m.,the church 1000sq.m., the Hreljo tower 80 and the inner yard 3 220 sq.m. Its unique and authentic atmosphere where you get the feeling time stopped some centuries ago while you walk from floor to floor and the wooden stairs crack under your feet..u can almost smell the flavors in the old monastery kitchen with an endless black chimney finishing somewhere very high up above the 3rd floor...
As about the church u see it's all painted with orthodox paintings from our best ever icon painters......
In the arcades surrounding the church from all 4sides the nuns and monks are still living, and famous apostles hid back from the Turks.
see what UNESCO says about this site.
LET ME TAKE YOU ON A >>>>MONASTERY VIRTUAL TOUR Page 1
08 oct 05 - On the 08 oct I started the reconstruction work of my Monastery page as totally unsatisfied with its previous content . Wrote the first 6 tips - great for a start ,got exhausted and lost inspiration....
After a sleepless night and lots of exchanged snowballs on yahoo messenger with .celticbhoy07 ,on the 17 oct 05 the major part of the body of this page was built or rewritten. Excuse me in making so many tips - I just couldn't stop my muse this night....
In the mean time ,some strange stuff happened...I got a "continue browsing" button out of the blue , just in between " Save and add more tips"and "Edit this Tip" - it must be the full moon's fault - Ghosts of the net are fooling around on VT.... I have the honor to have acheived the impossible - 8 pics per tip - a mutation of VT -see the "Monastery Corridors" tip
TAKE THE TOUR
- Pros:Experience Bulgaria in its pure form
- In a nutshell:A Wonderful place in the heart of Rila mountain
Tourist agencies in Sofia organise tours to the Monastery ,so if you want everything planned and are not adventurous by... more travel advice
Taking the tour of the monastery makes you hungry ,so After you exit the Samokov gate ,there is a tavern situated on... more travel advice
desert_princess' Related Pages
Rilski Manastir Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "RILA MONASTERY - The Spirit of Bulgarians"
- "The Keeper of Bulgarian Faith and Idenitity"
- "Rila Monastery"
- "Rila Monastery"
- "Rilski Manastir"
- "Essence of the Bulgarian people"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rilski Manastir
- Hotels in Rilski Manastir
- Transportation in Rilski Manastir
- Nightlife in Rilski Manastir
- Restaurants in Rilski Manastir
- Shopping in Rilski Manastir
- Warnings and Dangers in Rilski Manastir
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rilski Manastir
- 32 Reviews
- 100 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Rilski Manastir?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rilski Manastir
- Posted in Travel Innsbruck Forum "Re: Suitable clothing"
- Uploaded a Photo to "My Visits in The Rila Monastery"
- updated a Rilski Manastir Travelogue "My Visits in The Rila Monastery"
- Wrote a Review How to get there in Rilski Manastir Transportation
- Commented on one of ger4444's Rilski Manastir travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sofia Intro, 149 reviews, 320 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 75 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sunny Beach Intro, 82 reviews, 130 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ischgl Intro, 58 reviews, 148 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bulgaria Intro, 75 reviews, 75 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Innsbruck Intro, 48 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rilski Manastir Intro, 32 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wiener Neustadt Intro, 38 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nauders Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 40 reviews, 76 photos