"RILA MONASTERY - The Spirit of Bulgarians" Top 5 Page for this destination Rilski Manastir by desert_princess

Rilski Manastir Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 297 photos

Rila Monastery

If there is one place I recommend to see in Bulgaria,it will be The Rila Monastery.It is the heart and soul of Bulgarians, a cradle of the ancient slavic spirit that preserved our nation through the 5 centuries of turkish invasion. A real piece of art , wherever your eyes turn, you just can't get enough of its beauty....
Situated 120km from Sofia, 52 km from Dupnitsa and 22km from the village of Rila,the Rila monastery is nestled in the heart of Rila Mountain in the narrow canyon of Rilska river ,surrounded by mountain peaks up to 2700m . The Monastery is build at 1 147m of altitude over an area of 8 800 square meters,from which the wings occupy 4 500sq.m.,the church 1000sq.m., the Hreljo tower 80 and the inner yard 3 220 sq.m. Its unique and authentic atmosphere where you get the feeling time stopped some centuries ago while you walk from floor to floor and the wooden stairs crack under your feet..u can almost smell the flavors in the old monastery kitchen with an endless black chimney finishing somewhere very high up above the 3rd floor...
As about the church u see it's all painted with orthodox paintings from our best ever icon painters......
In the arcades surrounding the church from all 4sides the nuns and monks are still living, and famous apostles hid back from the Turks.

see what UNESCO says about this site.

LET ME TAKE YOU ON A >>>>MONASTERY VIRTUAL TOUR Page 1

Monastery reconstruction

08 oct 05 - On the 08 oct I started the reconstruction work of my Monastery page as totally unsatisfied with its previous content . Wrote the first 6 tips - great for a start ,got exhausted and lost inspiration....
After a sleepless night and lots of exchanged snowballs on yahoo messenger with .celticbhoy07 ,on the 17 oct 05 the major part of the body of this page was built or rewritten. Excuse me in making so many tips - I just couldn't stop my muse this night....
In the mean time ,some strange stuff happened...I got a "continue browsing" button out of the blue , just in between " Save and add more tips"and "Edit this Tip" - it must be the full moon's fault - Ghosts of the net are fooling around on VT.... I have the honor to have acheived the impossible - 8 pics per tip - a mutation of VT -see the "Monastery Corridors" tip

TAKE THE TOUR

• Pros:Experience Bulgaria in its pure form
  • In a nutshell:A Wonderful place in the heart of Rila mountain
  • Last visit to Rilski Manastir: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Oct 10, 2007

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I have seen this on TV and read some about it. You have done a very good job of describing the history and agony of this fine site. The pictures and comments are very helpful to the readers.

• Elisabcn's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Gorgeous page about a gorgeous monastery, Anna! No doubt that you love this place!!

• Rupanworld's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Hi Anna, nice page and tips here. I wish I could go there once. Great work!!!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2007 at 5:49 AM

Hello, Anna! You are right about the place: unique and splendid! I simply must go there if I travel to Bulgaria some day!

• ellielou's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2006 at 3:23 PM

looks even more incredible than I imagined! now, when to go to avoid busloads of tourists....that's the tip I really need!!!

• naveiropiano's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2006 at 7:43 AM

I love your page! It´s a fantastic monastery! I would like to go, do you know if there are buses from sofia to there?please answer to me!!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2006 at 3:00 AM

Beautiful Anna, your love for this special place shines out of your page. leyle

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2005 at 1:34 AM

Such a wonderful monestary! I wish that I could go there today. Your work on these pages surely must be blessed by the great Bulgarian Saint.

• chbuchie's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2005 at 6:57 AM

wasaaa Gizmo ! Great page, though u dont leave much room to write anything original on this place except that I enjoyed visiting the monastery together

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2005 at 1:13 AM

Lovely pics and a lovely place. I had heard of Rila Monastery, but not realised how beautiful it was.

desert_princess Visits Here Frequently!

desert_princess

“"I am part of everything that I have encountered" - Alfred Lord Tennyson”

Badges & Stats in Rilski Manastir

Have you been to Rilski Manastir?

Latest Activity in Rilski Manastir