"Varna - our sea Capital" Top 5 Page for this destination Varna by desert_princess
Varna Travel Guide: 425 reviews and 1,119 photos
Varna is an important administrative, economic and cultural center, the Largest Bulgarian seaport and a well known international resort. It was fonded in c.6 BC as a Greek city-state under the name of Odessos , which means "city by water". It soon became one of the most signigicant ports and trade centers of the Black Sea region. It was annexed to the kingdom of Alexander the Great for several decades and regained its independance after his death. The city was annexed to the Roman Empire in15AD. This was the time of its economic and cultural flourishing. The name "Varna" came into use after the Slav invasions in c.6-7 AD. The city was part of the Bulgarian kingdom by the end of c.8 . After numerous wars between Bulgaria and the Byzantine Empire , King Kaloyan permanetly annexed Varna to the Bulgarian kingdom in 1201 and the city became an important fortress and seaport untill the Ottoman conquest.
Varna was officially proclaimed a seaside resort in 1921.
The climate is similar to the Mediterranean and is suitable for balneological treatment.
Varna inportant phone numbers
Code 052 / Postal code 9000
Emergency - 150, 634083
Police - 166
Road Breakdown Recovery - 146 , 9803308 , 02/91146
Life Guards Center - 692481 , 603268 , 633067 , 603264
Fire Alarm - 160 , 504171 , 652696
Information on disasters , breakdowns and accidets - 648112
Civil Protection - 370911, 621362
Road Police - 165 , 502550
Information on Phone numbers in the area - 144, 623131 , 070010900
Taxi - 682828 , 388101 , 572109 , 500000 , 388388 , 682101 , 68211 , 388123 , 682114 , 682222 , 388188 , 388111
http://www.moreto.net/ - saitut na Varna
http://www.moreto.net/varnamap.php - Varna interactive map
- Pros:Varna is known for its beautiful girls
- In a nutshell:Varna is a great place in Summer
*( I've found today the most amazing thing in the middle of the city!! Roman thermal bath ruins!!!but the most amazing... more travel advice
The place gets really crowded on weekends while the band bearing the club's name is performing cover songs on stage .... more travel advice
desert_princess' Related Pages
Varna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Local Brewery and Some Superb Restaurants..."
- "Varna- one of my favourite cities"
- "Varna - our sea Capital"
- "Varna - Nice City with Beautiful Girls"
- "The Bulgarian Black sea"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Varna
- Hotels in Varna
- Transportation in Varna
- Nightlife in Varna
- Restaurants in Varna
- Shopping in Varna
- Warnings and Dangers in Varna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Varna
- 40 Reviews
- 76 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Varna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Varna
Photos in VarnaSee All Photos (76)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sofia Intro, 149 reviews, 320 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 75 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sunny Beach Intro, 82 reviews, 130 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ischgl Intro, 58 reviews, 148 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bulgaria Intro, 75 reviews, 75 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Innsbruck Intro, 48 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rilski Manastir Intro, 32 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wiener Neustadt Intro, 38 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nauders Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 40 reviews, 76 photos