"Welcome to My home playground" Top 5 Page for this destination Naroden Park Vitosha by desert_princess

Naroden Park Vitosha Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 197 photos

Vitosha Mountain 2290m

The oldest name of Vitosha mountain is "Skopar" - V B.C. "Skompos","Skopios"etc which comes from the latin word "Scopius" meaning steep mountain. Today this name remains only in some parts on the southern slopes of the mountain - the Area Skoparnika and the peak with the same name.
With its present name Vitosha is known from the middle ages. At first it was a name of an area that got transfered afterwards to the whole mountain.It means two peaked mountain . That's how look the two highest peaks - Cherni Vrah/ Black Peak /2290m and Goliam Rezen 2277m that differ only with 13 m. About the origin of the name there are different opinions.Some consider it being Slave, others Thracian.
Compared to our other mountains,Vitosha is not big - from north to south she measures 23km ,and from east to west 18km.
Her average altitude is 1500m.
She is surrounded by all sides with high altitude valleys :
Sofia Valley at the North - 550m altitude
Pernik Valley at West - 750m altitude
Samokov Valley at South - 950 m of altitude
at the Southwest through Verila mountain she connects with Rila and at southeast is the low altitude Plana mountain.

Naroden park Vitosha Official website and Naroden park Vitosha

Vitosha Mountain in Winter

A View to the Skiing area Called The Wall - Stenata and the ridge where the Romanski Lift runs.... I think if you look closer you'll see the pilons supporting the lift

Vitosha mountain is a 4 seasons recreation area. You can ski in winter ....

Vitosha in Summer

hike climb or fly with a parachute over Sofia. Pick mushrooms and wild berries, lay at the sun or refresh yourself in the numerous rivers. All this is possible , just some half an hour from the center of Sofia

• Pros:Home Sweet Home! We are so blessed 2 have u mother Vitosha!!!!
  • Cons:Pollution due to the proximity with Sofia
  • In a nutshell:A Wonderful recreation area for all 4 seasons, some 30 minutes from the center of Sofia
  • Last visit to Naroden Park Vitosha: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 21, 2005

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2009 at 6:12 AM

Ah, seems you are passionate about this area as you have written straight from the heart.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2007 at 1:10 PM

In the past I used to spend my holidays in Bulgarian sea-resorts; once or twice I also passed through Sophia, but I always wanted to explore some other places. Your Vitosha page makes me want to realise my past dreams.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2007 at 10:36 AM

Nice tips!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2006 at 3:58 AM

Hello, Anna! You've got great pages I must say!

• Rusket's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2006 at 4:14 AM

I have finished my page of the hike that led to me not coming to the Black sea. Did not dear to read your tips first, was afraid I would plagiarise! Your page tells me I have to come back during winter :-)

• CliffClaven's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2006 at 4:03 AM

Chuden izgled kam Sofiya!

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2006 at 6:03 AM

What a beautiful place! Looks like good skiing. Great pics

• wandeljp's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2005 at 6:38 AM

Fantastic. I hope really come to Sofia and Vitosha in a few years.I must see for accomodation and good marked footpath or circuits for our wandern group. I hope can meet you one day. Who knows ?

• MrBill's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2005 at 4:04 AM

I am pretty sure I had dinner one night at Vodenitzata with colleagues from Sofia? It was very nice. I said I would come back in the winter for skiing.

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2005 at 3:30 PM

Smerch looks a little unpleasant! Did you drink any of the blessed water?

desert_princess Was Born Here!

desert_princess

“"I am part of everything that I have encountered" - Alfred Lord Tennyson”

Badges & Stats in Naroden Park Vitosha

Have you been to Naroden Park Vitosha?