"Welcome to My home playground" Top 5 Page for this destination Naroden Park Vitosha by desert_princess
Naroden Park Vitosha Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 197 photos
The oldest name of Vitosha mountain is "Skopar" - V B.C. "Skompos","Skopios"etc which comes from the latin word "Scopius" meaning steep mountain. Today this name remains only in some parts on the southern slopes of the mountain - the Area Skoparnika and the peak with the same name.
With its present name Vitosha is known from the middle ages. At first it was a name of an area that got transfered afterwards to the whole mountain.It means two peaked mountain . That's how look the two highest peaks - Cherni Vrah/ Black Peak /2290m and Goliam Rezen 2277m that differ only with 13 m. About the origin of the name there are different opinions.Some consider it being Slave, others Thracian.
Compared to our other mountains,Vitosha is not big - from north to south she measures 23km ,and from east to west 18km.
Her average altitude is 1500m.
She is surrounded by all sides with high altitude valleys :
Sofia Valley at the North - 550m altitude
Pernik Valley at West - 750m altitude
Samokov Valley at South - 950 m of altitude
at the Southwest through Verila mountain she connects with Rila and at southeast is the low altitude Plana mountain.
Naroden park Vitosha Official website and Naroden park Vitosha
A View to the Skiing area Called The Wall - Stenata and the ridge where the Romanski Lift runs.... I think if you look closer you'll see the pilons supporting the lift
Vitosha mountain is a 4 seasons recreation area. You can ski in winter ....
hike climb or fly with a parachute over Sofia. Pick mushrooms and wild berries, lay at the sun or refresh yourself in the numerous rivers. All this is possible , just some half an hour from the center of Sofia
- Pros:Home Sweet Home! We are so blessed 2 have u mother Vitosha!!!!
- Cons:Pollution due to the proximity with Sofia
- In a nutshell:A Wonderful recreation area for all 4 seasons, some 30 minutes from the center of Sofia
In the beginning of mai 2005 this is how Vitosha looked like :))) No lifts in operation of course ,so if you feel like... more travel advice
Vitosha is really a windy b itch especially at the top....nothing to protect you there than your windstopping clothes.... more travel advice
desert_princess' Related Pages
Naroden Park Vitosha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vitosha Mountain"
- "Welcome to My home playground"
- "Hike to Cerni Vrh"
- "Vitosha Mountain"
- "A high place in Bulgaria"
- "Vitosha - mountain and a natural park"
- "To the Summit!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Naroden Park Vitosha
- Transportation in Naroden Park Vitosha
- Restaurants in Naroden Park Vitosha
- Warnings and Dangers in Naroden Park Vitosha
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Naroden Park Vitosha
- 16 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Naroden Park Vitosha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Naroden Park Vitosha
- Posted in Travel Innsbruck Forum "Re: A day in Innsbruck."
- created a Naroden Park Vitosha Travelogue "Project for extending the ski network in Vitosha"
- Commented on one of Rusket's Naroden Park Vitosha travel pages
- Wrote a Review chairlift "Vitoshko lale" in Naroden Park Vitosha Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Water Collecting Valley Vitosha Mountain"
Photos in Naroden Park VitoshaSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sofia Intro, 149 reviews, 320 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 75 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sunny Beach Intro, 82 reviews, 130 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ischgl Intro, 58 reviews, 148 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bulgaria Intro, 75 reviews, 75 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Innsbruck Intro, 48 reviews, 93 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rilski Manastir Intro, 32 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wiener Neustadt Intro, 38 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nauders Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 40 reviews, 76 photos