"Kufstein - The Pearl of Tirol" Top 5 Page for this destination Kufstein by desert_princess
Kufstein Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 77 photos
Kufstein with its 15 000 inhabitants and 503m above sea level is the second biggest city of Tirol after Innsbruck.
The first thing I remembered about it was the white castle built ot a hill in the middle of the city. You can't miss it if you enter the city by car or just drive by on the A12 Highway. What you couldn't knew is that every day at noon, beautiful sounds of organ* music are filling the air, reaching as far as the forest at the foohills of the Kaiser Valley /Kaisertal/. Actually that was where I was the first time I heard it....I was taking an exploration walk on those wooden steps in the forest when magic notes came to my ears from afar.... I realized it was the castle's open air organ....It still felt strange to hear some classic music playing in the middle of the silence of the forest....
Located in the Kufstein fortress ( Via Imperialis castles ) the * - Heroes Organ - built in 1931, the largest free-standing organ IN THE WORLD in the fortress citizen's tower ,with 4 307working pipes
Visit the Official Website of Kufstein and Kufstein info and accomodations
First mentioned as "Coafstein" in the Bishop Arn of Salzburg's list of properties. Described as a market town in 1257 and raised to town status with protective wall by the Duke Stefan III of Bavaria in 1393. Relics of the town walls are the " Water Bastion" and the "Water tower".
Numerous attacks were generally successfully rebuffed by the fortress. Only Emperor Maximilian I was able in 1504 to conquer the fortress defended by the Bavarian Hans von Pienzenau. And Andreas Hofer, the legendary Tyrolean Freedom fighter, was also unable to drive out the Bavarian occupants.
Riedl crystal factory is also located in the town ,aswell as Kneissl skis
24 october 2005 - It's about time I reoganise and complete my Kufstein page - this town has been my home for about two months an I am not paying him the proper tribute
- In a nutshell:Kufstein it Beautiful
You actually never give it a thought as you pass the Inn river on the highway , but the bycicle route goes under the... more travel advice
Not really a cave in the proper sense of the word ,or at least not the way I imagined it , the Tishofer Cave is located... more travel advice
desert_princess' Related Pages
Kufstein Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kufstein - The Pearl of Tirol"
- "Visiting FH Kufstein with EuroFM"
- "No waltz for midnight"
- "kufstein austria"
- "Kufstein or the Perl of Tirol"
- "Where we crossed the river for a cake :)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kufstein
- Hotels in Kufstein
- Transportation in Kufstein
- Restaurants in Kufstein
- Warnings and Dangers in Kufstein
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kufstein
- 19 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Kufstein?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kufstein
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sofia Intro, 149 reviews, 320 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 75 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sunny Beach Intro, 82 reviews, 130 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ischgl Intro, 58 reviews, 148 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bulgaria Intro, 75 reviews, 75 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Innsbruck Intro, 48 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rilski Manastir Intro, 32 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wiener Neustadt Intro, 38 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nauders Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 40 reviews, 76 photos