"Kufstein - The Pearl of Tirol" Top 5 Page for this destination Kufstein by desert_princess

Kufstein Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 77 photos

Kufstein - The Pearl Of Tirol

Kufstein with its 15 000 inhabitants and 503m above sea level is the second biggest city of Tirol after Innsbruck.
The first thing I remembered about it was the white castle built ot a hill in the middle of the city. You can't miss it if you enter the city by car or just drive by on the A12 Highway. What you couldn't knew is that every day at noon, beautiful sounds of organ* music are filling the air, reaching as far as the forest at the foohills of the Kaiser Valley /Kaisertal/. Actually that was where I was the first time I heard it....I was taking an exploration walk on those wooden steps in the forest when magic notes came to my ears from afar.... I realized it was the castle's open air organ....It still felt strange to hear some classic music playing in the middle of the silence of the forest....
Located in the Kufstein fortress ( Via Imperialis castles ) the * - Heroes Organ - built in 1931, the largest free-standing organ IN THE WORLD in the fortress citizen's tower ,with 4 307working pipes
Visit the Official Website of Kufstein and Kufstein info and accomodations

A look back in history

First mentioned as "Coafstein" in the Bishop Arn of Salzburg's list of properties. Described as a market town in 1257 and raised to town status with protective wall by the Duke Stefan III of Bavaria in 1393. Relics of the town walls are the " Water Bastion" and the "Water tower".
Numerous attacks were generally successfully rebuffed by the fortress. Only Emperor Maximilian I was able in 1504 to conquer the fortress defended by the Bavarian Hans von Pienzenau. And Andreas Hofer, the legendary Tyrolean Freedom fighter, was also unable to drive out the Bavarian occupants.

Reorganising my tips

Riedl crystal factory is also located in the town ,aswell as Kneissl skis

24 october 2005 - It's about time I reoganise and complete my Kufstein page - this town has been my home for about two months an I am not paying him the proper tribute

• In a nutshell:Kufstein it Beautiful
  • Last visit to Kufstein: Jan 2003
  • Intro Updated Oct 9, 2006

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2012 at 1:23 AM

It seems an interesting town to visit.

Ciao!

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2005 at 5:14 AM

so many years since i was here, heard the organ playing in the fortress. Interesting collages

• MrBill's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2005 at 3:52 AM

I always picked my friend up in Kufstein from the train between Salzberg & Innsbruck, so I spent a few afternoons there just looking around and wandering about. A very nice little city. Thanks. Bill.

desert_princess Used To Live Here!

desert_princess

“"I am part of everything that I have encountered" - Alfred Lord Tennyson”

Badges & Stats in Kufstein

Have you been to Kufstein?

Latest Activity in Kufstein