"Glurns - the SMALLEST fortified city of Tirol" Glorenza by desert_princess

Glorenza Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 22 photos

The fortified city of Glurns

the smallest city in the Alps

Glurns is situated off the beaten path away from the main road of Vinschgau valley. I would have never pass through it if I did not take a bus by mistake ,that was driving by. So how astonished was I to suddenly see a perfectly maintained fortified, about 3 storey house high wall with towers in the four corners immersing in front of me and spreading left and right on both sides.Than the bus traversed a bridge and enter the village (at the time I thought it was a village) through the city gate. As I looked astonished through the window, I realised that time had stopped here some centuries ago.before I could realize what was happening, we passed another fortified wall gate and left the city.

The fortified walls of Glurns/Gloenza as they are today have a parapet walk , 350 embrasures, seven towers with spires and three gates.

Glurns belongs to the part of Italy that belonged to Austria until some centuries ago, that's why the town has two names Glurns for German and Glorenza for Italian.
As I talked all excited in the evening about it with my boss in Nauders , he told me it's the smallest town in Italy and it's declared a museum town.

Glurns - the only city in Tirol that has perfectly preserved city walls, powerful rampart towers, medieval alleys in a picturesque landscape.Nowhere else you could feel the Middle Ages as in here.

The fist mention of Glurns, at that time called "Glurnis", dates back to the year 1163. The former lords,the counts of Tyrol, made the town the seat of the court in 1223, as an opposing pole to the bishopric of Chur.

Under Meinhard II. Glurns became the trade centre of the upper Vinschgau region. Being on the way of the Salt. In 1499 the town was destructed and burned by the Engadines during the Calven battle . Rebuilt between 1500 and 1520 , the town has preserved its appearence since than , as only minor changes in its stricture were made.
In 2004 the town celebrated its 700th anniversary.
It has 850 inhabitants today.

LINKS :

See the Official Glurns page in German and Italian

Glurns - where is it ,how to get there

Tourist Information Glurns
+39 0473 831097 / fax 835224 mail: glurns@suedtirol.com

• In a nutshell:Glurns - a town from a knight's tale
  • Last visit to Glorenza: Apr 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 10, 2008

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2005 at 12:03 AM

Nice to see that a second VT page about Glurns has started. Hope that you have mor time for it when you come next time to Tirol.

desert_princess

“"I am part of everything that I have encountered" - Alfred Lord Tennyson”

Badges & Stats in Glorenza

Have you been to Glorenza?