"A two day trip for the Carnaval - February 2004" Venice by desert_princess
Venice Travel Guide: 8,137 reviews and 21,375 photos
I saw it on the news on TV - The Carnaval of Venice . A woman dressed in some impossibly beautiful costume and mask. I thought - I have to see it!! I was lucky to live some 370km from Venice that time ,so I called a friend that had a car and told him what's on the schedule.
At The Plaza San Marco every Afternoon around 16h there is a Parade of The Best Costumes of the Carnaval,Hurry Hurry with your cameras to take photos with everyone around...
Under the columns you will find street artists that will paint your face like a mask. I've seen some at work - beautiful flowers they've made, gems and glitter to finish it.
When you are at the Venice carnaval, you would like to do like everybody - get a mask and hide your face. I picked two different . This was matching my outfit ,but the other is unbelievable!!! check it out in my shopping section.
Those unreal Visions are leaving you wondering if you are daydreaming..... We were lucky to bump across a photosession for Venetian carnaval costumes...
Venice is insane in every meaning of the word...Insane sights,insane crowds, insane buildings, insane atmosphere. There is no way to describe it - it has to be experienced.
We arrived in Venice after 23h. Parked at the gates in the big parking and went to a small and still open (!) tourist office . They proposed us 2, I think, accomodation options, And we took the second one. We took our luggage and bought a 24h ticket for the water transport. Hopped on the vaporetto and soaked in the Venice atmosphere. Two masked and dressed up ladies gave me a pre-taste of what I came for. We arrived at the campo where our hotel was and descended.
"az bqh samo za 2 dena i poneje pristignahme kusno izlqzohme da se razhodim....beshe sled 0h i ulicite prazni, kanalite spokoini...i zad edin zavoi se poqvqvat edna maskirana znatna dama oble4ena vuv koprini , kadife, krinloin i volani a zad neq , edin paj , koito i pazi sqnka s vetrilo ot paunovi pera i zaburzaha nanqkude.... bqha kato izlqzli ot nqkakuv sun, absolutno nerealni....no Veneciq e stranen grad.Edinstven po roda si i ponqkoga zlovesht...No bez karnavala, spored men i lipsva 1/2 ot sushtnostta. Tozi grad e edna golqma scena i ima nujda ot svoite aktiori..."
Costume Shops are Magnificent!!, Never go in ,or you'll end up wanting to buy everything!!!
- Pros:The Carnaval - It's M A G I C ,Baby!!!!Don't miss it if you get the chance to be there....
- Cons:The crowds and crowds of people standing in lines in the rain ,waiting to get into museums, palaces,galleries, makes me think I'll never have that patience to stand outside in the rain for at least 1/2 an hour, to see world famous masterpieces
- In a nutshell:A DREAM WORLD
This it THE PUBLIC TRANSPORT in Venice,apart from your feet. And the Gondolas of course but they are way too expensive... more travel advice
Chiesa di S.Maria della Salute can be seen on the way to St Marco on the right side of the Canale Grande more travel advice
desert_princess' Related Pages
Venice Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wandering around Venice with Suvanki"
- "Amore eterno per Venezia la Serenissima :-)"
- "Venice – the City of Art"
- "Vacations in Venice"
- "MERAVIGLIOSA VENEZIA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Venice
- Hotels in Venice
- Transportation in Venice
- Nightlife in Venice
- Restaurants in Venice
- Shopping in Venice
- Warnings and Dangers in Venice
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Venice
- 24 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Venice?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Venice
- Posted in Travel Innsbruck Forum "Re: Road trip within Innsbruck"
- updated a Venice Travel Page "A two day trip for the Carnaval - February 2004"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A ride on Canale Grande"
- Wrote a Review Vaporetto about Vaporetto in Venice Transportation
- Commented on one of Trekki's Venice travel pages
Photos in VeniceSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sofia Intro, 149 reviews, 320 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 75 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sunny Beach Intro, 82 reviews, 130 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ischgl Intro, 58 reviews, 148 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bulgaria Intro, 75 reviews, 75 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Innsbruck Intro, 48 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rilski Manastir Intro, 32 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wiener Neustadt Intro, 38 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nauders Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 40 reviews, 76 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (126)
Latest Venice hotel reviews
- Alloggi Barbaria
- 124 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Nazionale Hotel
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Foresteria Valdese
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2012
- Antico Panada Hotel Venice
- 252 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Vivaldi Hotel Venice
- 321 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Locanda Acquavita
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 4, 2012
- Antica Locanda Al Gambero Venice
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Bisanzio
- 324 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Ca' Leon D'Oro
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Al Vagon
- 147 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Alloggi Gerotto Calderan Venice
- 98 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013
- Casanova ai Tolentini
- 154 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- Hotel Belvedere - Marghera
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013