"BULGARIA - THE LAND OF ROSES" Top 5 Page for this destination Bulgaria by desert_princess

Bulgaria Travel Guide: 6,062 reviews and 17,687 photos

Visit my Bulgaria gallery at > http://travel.webshots.com/ Bulgaria album/ - still in construction

As we, Bulgarians ,(see Wikipedia about Bulgaria) entered the EU in january 2007 , I will try to tell you, about my lovely land. As I feel I come in the " Great Unknown".

Why the "Land of roses" ?( La rose est la fleur nationale des Etats-Unis. C’est également la fleur nationale de l’Angleterre (rose Tudor), de la Bulgarie, de la Finlande (rose blanche) et de l’Irak.Les roses sont originaires d’Asie. Elles sont arrivées en Europe au Moyen-Age lors du retour des croisées.) Because somewhere in a plain at the foothills of Balkan mountain, around the town of Kasanluk , there is a valley of roses....They have been grown there for centuries, to obtain rose oil, a precious substance for the western parfumerie industry.Even our national hero - Baj Ganjo*cosiders it more valuable than money, and uses it as an exchange and payment unit in his trips around the world ( he calls it "Gjul"- a turkish word)
* - Bai Ganjo is a humoristic folklore character created by one of our greatest Writers - Aleko Konstantinov.

"I love my land and hate my country" - this graffiti on a wall somewhere in Sofia remained in my mind.
Bulgaria is a beautiful land - it is small, yet it has everything you can imagine (except desert). We have the highest peak on the Balkans - Moussala 2925m, and a wide black sea coast with fine white sand.
We have 4 seasons ( lately they are blending into 2 ..)
Bulgaria is created in 681 AC - this makes over 1300 years of history which makes in one of the first countries in Europe.This is what I love

The bulgarian folklore music is another magic of our spirit...the sound of the bagpipes mixed with the multitude off female voices, floating in the air over peaks and plains, forests and rivers.....

What I hate are today's politicians, mafia, poverty, narrow mindness, lack of perspective for growth, corruption , police......Poor Bulgarian land, how much more do you have to suffer from ignorants?

The marvels of My country

If you want to feel what I love about Bulgaria, take a look at my pages about :

Sofia - My hometown TAKE A VIRTUAL TOUR - top 5 page

The Rila Monastery - the Cradle of the bulgarian spirit and part of UNESCO world heritage sites

Melnik - wine traditions among natural sand pyramids

Nessebar - A Unique peninsula on our Black Sea coast - part of UNESCO world heritage

Rhodopa Mountains - The Undiscovered Treasure

See the UNESCO world heritage sites in Bulgaria - 7 cultural and 2 natural

http://bulgariancastles.com/ - in Bulgarian

See the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100 Tourist Sites of Bulgaria

25 APRIL 2005 -Bulgaria in EU in 2007(?). Today In Luxembourg was signed the contract that will make us in 01 january 2007 part of the United States of Europe ! Bulgaria will be the first country that brings the Cyrilic Alphabet to the European Union,making it the 3rd official alphabet after the latin and the greek ones.
Are we prepared?
Only about 25 percent of the bulgarians are speaking a foreign language ( which might be russian that we learned at school, turkish or gipsy minorities speaking their own language),and only about 29 percent have travelled beyond the boudaries of our country( Mainly to neighbouring Turkey , Yugoslavia and Greece for work or trade ).... These are statistics shown on tv today.

EXTERNAL LINKS:

for a start - see an Breathtaking photo gallery of Bulgaria from Georgy Velichkov > click on the "Slideshow" for best results >Thank you for reminding me how blessed I am to be born in this land of beauty !!! and

www.freemountains.com - mountain guiding services in Bulgaria

Bulgarian tourist Chamber - list of partners

Download an English / Bulgarian dictionary

inspirationnal greeting cards in bulgarian

Weather forecast in Bulgaria

http://www.moiteplanini.com - in Bulgarian

http://netinfo.bg/ -latest bulgarian news ( in bulgarian)

online directory of bulgarian newspapers and magazines

online directory of bulgarian radio stations - listen to bulgarian language

Help preserve of the rare and unique nature in the Bulgarian National Parks

Bulgarian humor - bulgarsko narodno tvor4estvo- bulgarskata versiq na wikipediq

bulgaarsverkeersbureau.nl - Guide to Bulgaria in Dutch

Bulgaria Travel - What is there to be seen

Albena.bg - the official web page of Albena resort

www.mi.gouvernment.bg/norm/laws.html - Zakon za turizma

• Pros:Bit by Bit . Piece by Piece , I'll put my country together...
  • In a nutshell:Land as big as a human's palm......
  • Last visit to Bulgaria: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 20, 2010

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Kak si, Anna! Very Nice Hompage and I hope to visit Sofia someday...take care and Greetings from Arizona, Norman :)

• neodue's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2008 at 1:51 AM

nice pages abput Bulgaria.You r tips made me see Bulgaria. Thank you

• Jan 22, 2008 at 5:36 AM

I see we have the same eye motif going on! ;) Great Bulgaria page and great local custom tips! Maybe I should go to Bulgaria to practice my reading of the Cyrillic alphabet! Actually I'd love to go to Bulgaria! :)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2007 at 10:20 AM

Hello, Anna! Thanks for your extensive and useful page on your beautiful country!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2007 at 2:03 PM

Looked at the fabulous pics in the slide show of Bulgaria. Thank you so much for such beautiful images. Loved the 4 women sitting on the curb.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2007 at 2:00 PM

Hi good education of and introduction to your country Bulgaria thanks! Nice photos. You lost my Telouet page eh!?

• May 3, 2007 at 10:39 PM

Ha! What you write about Bulgaria is a combination of what I remember my history, lit and geography teachers in primary school used to say about it... Cheers, Marina ;-) p.s. I think you meant to translate "Zemia" = "Land" as big as a human's palm..

• JoseUcha's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2006 at 1:27 PM

Hello desert_princess, just returned from a trip to your beautifull country. From Sofia to Balchik to Sozopol to Plovdiv back to Sofia. Enjoyed lots, acomodating people, great food and as you said plainty of beauties there. Cheers

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2006 at 1:57 AM

A good friend of mine choose Bulgaria for their wedding travel.Looking at yr page - the fresh married couple was right. Greetz from Belgium

• Rusket's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2006 at 6:51 AM

I am going to Sofia for the VT meeting in July, and will reread Your excellent tips before then :-) Greetings from Mostar!

desert_princess Used To Live Here!

desert_princess

“"I am part of everything that I have encountered" - Alfred Lord Tennyson”

Badges & Stats in Bulgaria

Have you been to Bulgaria?

Latest Activity in Bulgaria