"Le Palais de Versailles - PAGE UNDER COSTRUCTION" Versailles by desert_princess
Versailles Travel Guide: 657 reviews and 2,428 photos
The castle and gardens of Versailles represent the most beautiful and complete chef d'oeuvre("gesamtkunswerk" is the word used for the castle of Schonbrunn in Vienna)of the french art from XVII century.The old hunting pavillion of Louis XIII was rebuilt by his son Louis XIV ,who mover there the french court and the siege of the French Gouvernment. The castle was expanded and enriched with new appartments in XVIII century were decorated under the reign of Louis XV. By the first days of the French Revolution, the court had to leave Versailles on the 6 october 1789. In 1837 , King Louis Philippe grounded in the castle the Museum dedicated to the French Glory.
The gardens of Versailles designed and built between 1661 and 1700 by Le Notre,who dug channels , arranged flower carpets , bushes and labyrinths ; decorated with marble , bronze or tin statues ;refreshed the air with fountains creating the example of a garden "a la francaise". Beyond the gardens of the Small Park ( 94 ha ) spread the gardens of the Grand Park , perfect for walks.
I always use the chance to visit castles whenever in the area ,so when my friend Manu suggested to visit the palace of Versailles,I was thrilled by the idea.
Versailles is off the beaten path ,when it comes to Paris .It takes about 40 minutes / maybe more / to get there by Metro . So you need to plan at least half a day to visit the palace.
- In a nutshell:http://www.chateauversailles.fr/en/index.php
The Fisher's Tower called aswell Marlborough tower was used as starting point for canoe trips or fishing parties . Built... more travel advice
Built by Richard Mique between 1784 and 1788 ,the farm is an absolutely lovely place . It looks like the witch's house... more travel advice
desert_princess' Related Pages
Versailles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Grandeur Beyound Words"
- "ON THE STEPS OF MARIE-ANTOINETTE."
- "Moscow - Versailles"
- "When Kings lived in Versailles"
- "The Chateau de Versailles"
- "I can see why they chopped off their heads!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Versailles
- Hotels in Versailles
- Transportation in Versailles
- Nightlife in Versailles
- Restaurants in Versailles
- Shopping in Versailles
- Warnings and Dangers in Versailles
- See All...
Explore the World
- Terre Haute
- Fair Hill
- Catalina Foothills Hotels
- Sai Wan Hotels
- Freiburg im Breisgau
- Mount Arayat National Park Hotels
- Airlie Beach Hotels
- Necker Island Hotels
- Monument Rocks National Natural Landmark Hotels
- State of Sabah
Badges & Stats in Versailles
- 8 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Versailles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Versailles
Photos in VersaillesSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sofia Intro, 149 reviews, 320 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 75 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sunny Beach Intro, 82 reviews, 130 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ischgl Intro, 58 reviews, 148 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bulgaria Intro, 75 reviews, 75 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Innsbruck Intro, 48 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rilski Manastir Intro, 32 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wiener Neustadt Intro, 38 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nauders Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 40 reviews, 76 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (126)
Latest Versailles hotel reviews
- Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
- 549 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- Pullman Versailles Chateau Paris
- 147 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Ibis Paris Versailles Chateau
- 80 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Le Cheval Rouge
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013