"TOR, TOWN, AND FESTIVALS" Glastonbury by englishchris
Glastonbury Travel Guide: 133 reviews and 424 photos
Glastonbury is a strange place - by any definition!
It is an inharmonious mix of geology, mythology, psychology, and sociology (plus lots of other things that don't rhyme with 'ology).
For me Glastonbury consists of three separate parts:
The Sites - namely Glastonbury Tor, Chalice Well, the Abbey, and the lesser known special spots.
The Town - with its array of new age shops, healing centres, and local characters.
The Events - such as The Festival, but also the conferences, workshops, groups, and the arts.
For a small town, there is a lot going on here - check out the monthly listings leaflet available from tourist info, and many of the shops. Also look out for flyers posted round advertising a range of workshops and services. Around full moon, there are many small celebrations and meditations - some formal and others impromtu at the top of the Tor. Throughout the year there are numerous (and rather specialised) events, such as the Goddess and Green Man Conferences, the Crop Circle Symposium, the Dance Festival and lots more.
You cannot introduce Glastonbury without acknowledging The Glastonbury Festival - which is actually held at the village of Pilton about 4 miles away. For four days a year, this village suddenly becomes the largest town in the south west of England. Without actually seeing it, it is hard to really appreciate how big the festival is - It Is HUGE! This is a world class festival of music, art, expression and drug-fuelled indulgence and celebration, and although it has changed and evolved over the years to something much more industrialised - it remains an amazing experience.
However the days of getting in without an official ticket (ie. over the fence) have come to an end, and all tickets sell out at a phenominal pace!
Is Glastonbury a Spiritual Place?
That all depends on your definition of spirituality I guess. I love the fact that it attracts seekers and pilgrims from all over the world, who often get a lot out of visiting here. Personally I have had one or two quietely profound moments at the sites - the most memorable being at the top of the Tor at full moon, with a sea of mist below, and silver clouds floating just above the mist - It really did look like a doorway into another world! But as for the town itself - I find it often has a very stagnant or uneasy atmosphere, with a restless mix of various agendas floating round.
So make of it what you will - it's definately worth a visit.
- Pros:a unique place, special to many diverse seekers and pilgrims
- Cons:can sometimes feel like a stagnant backwater
- In a nutshell:A great place to visit - and leave
Burrow Mump looks like a minature Glastonbury Tor, and is well worth a visit. It overlooks the joining of thr Rivers... more travel advice
There are two, old, old, oak trees standing in a secluded and atmospheric area on the outskirts of Glasters. Named Gog... more travel advice
englishchris' Related Pages
Glastonbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GLASTONBURY - QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS!"
- "The Mystical Isle of Avalon"
- "Glastonbury - not just for hippies"
- "Glastonbury - Tranquility at it's finest!"
- "Glastonbury Festival"
- "England's mountains green"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glastonbury
- Hotels in Glastonbury
- Transportation in Glastonbury
- Nightlife in Glastonbury
- Restaurants in Glastonbury
- Shopping in Glastonbury
- Warnings and Dangers in Glastonbury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glastonbury
- 5 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Glastonbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glastonbury
Photos in GlastonburySee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Aix-en-Provence Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Glastonbury Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alappuzha Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Somerset Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Paros Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Moustiers-Sainte-Marie Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Arles Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Tianjin 1 review, 4 photos
- Apt Intro, 3 reviews, 2 photos
- Oia Intro, 1 review, 1 photo