"My Life is made from a Thousand Journeys" englishchris's Profile

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have a heart, on any path that may have a heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly" (Don Juan / Casteneda)

Today and Yesterday

Hi, I'm Chris and I live in East Devon - not far from Sidmouth. You are very welcome to my homepage. If you want to know a bit about me then read on.......

One of the ways in which I view my life is as a series of journeys, and at the age of 48, I feel that I am now starting a new one. After "wasting" my youth on smoking, listening to music, travelling and searching for some sort of meaning to life, I settled down to establish a career and a home and embrace responsibility. But now after twenty years of that I feel that I am moving into another chapter of my life and it's getting time to start doing some travelling and reconnecting to the bigger picture again - so here I am.

The Road

In my late teens and early twenties I did a fair bit of travelling (hitching across Europe and backpacking in Asia). One of the abiding realisations that struck me was that "travel is a state of mind" That it involves seeing the world with fresh perception, and therefore I should be able to apply that state of mind to my everyday life including working the 9-5 and shopping for groceries.
Sadly (but naturally) - I never did manage to keep my awareness and identity fresh for long, once I returned home. But the principle I hope remains. Looking back now - I see that I did keep travelling in many ways, as my journeys took on different forms. I have travelled through philosphies, mind states, studies, relationships, and skill building through the last twenty years. And from that comes another abiding realisation - that often quoted saying that "life is a journey" - is true.
We are born, and we journey to our death. The two events that we have abolutely no control over. In fact I am not sure if we have much control on the time in between either. But, If we have any control then surely it is making choices about the landscapes we travel through, what we decide to engage with, and how we travel as we make our way.
How Do You Travel?

Milestones and Oasis along the Path

So then, what have been the key points on my life's journey? Mmnn - that's kind of a big question when I think of it. The answer I give today may be very different from the one I give tomorrow.
On reflection, a lot of the key points have been downright difficult, but they have been the ones that have brought forth brighter days. Life being life - disatisfaction, disapointment, suffering, illness and death are never far away - but then neither are joy, laughter, love and hope.

Right now I feel that the most important points in my life have simply been a handful of descisions.

That and relationships. Relating is what life is REALLY all about in my view........How we relate to our self, our loved ones, other beings, the world around us and life itself.
What is travel if it is not learning to relate in some way or other???

The Snapshot

I think that you can get a good understanding of someone if you can see how they spend their time and where they turn for nurture. So if you took a quick photo of my life as it is right now, this is what it looks like:

I have spent the best part of twenty years working as an occupational therapist, dealing with much of the worst and sometimes the best sides of life. This job brought me into contact with literally thousands of people and allowed me an insight into how we as humans make our lives.

I have been married for seventeen years to my lovely Jane. After spending a long time renovating a humble, little old cottage, on a fairly noisy road in Somerset, we have now succeeded in moving to a peaceful little place in a beautiful part of East Devon near the coast.

I train in Chinese martial arts every day. The study of kung fu continues to give me so much - apart from a few injuries - it also teaches me how to live!

I am definately not a religious kind of person, but I draw a lot of inspiration and guidance from Buddhist and Taoist philosophy. Some days I spend 15-30 minutes meditating. I also get a lot of my nurturing from music, books and art.

I love photography, photoshop, drawing and video-making. You can see some of my work on my website: www.thousandjourneys.com

I have pretty eclectic musical tastes, and take the view that "good music is Good Music" But above all I love a bit of jazz and soul.
Top of my revered authors comes David Zindell (the Neverness series) and Geoff Dyer, both of them have really opened up a whole range of new horizons and possibilities for me.

Worldwide

As far as travel goes - Over the few years I have spent time in Egypt, Vietnam, Spain, Amsterdam, Greece, Italy, France, India and China . After a long time of planning and working hard, we are now finally able to do some real travelling and will be leaving early 2014 for some extended time in Asia and beyond.

My favourite country is definately India. In all I have spent nearly a year in India, but have only scratched the surface. It is so demanding that the country discovers you, as much as you discover it. Jane summed it up very well, when she simply said that "India nurtures your soul". Due to my martial arts, I also have strong links with northern China, and also have a great liking for the people there.

Moving On

If you have have managed to read as far as here through my self indulgent ramblings - Thank You.

My hope is to inspire a few thoughts and to share a little humanity - but it might be that I just sound like a prime dickhead :-)

Surf on, and may your travels always be ............Excellent.

• Intro Updated Oct 6, 2013

• suvanki's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Hi! Hope that you had a Happy Birthday! Best Wishes from Sue in Sheffield

• travelinxs's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Hi Chris. Happy Birthday in case I miss it mate. Have a great day. Cheers. Chris.

• Sage49's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2008 at 8:29 PM

Hey Chris, I enjoyed very much reading your life story. Thanks for sharing, makes me think about my own.

• Jun 14, 2007 at 7:05 AM

Happy Birthday greetings from New York City! Hope this year brings you many new travels!

• traveloturc's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2007 at 12:31 AM

Happy birthday to you from Istanbul / Turkiye ..I wish that you realize all your dreams ...good luck

• takla73's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2007 at 11:33 PM

Happy birthday CHRIS and have a nice day Greeting from Alexandria Egypt TAKLA

• mary2u99's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2007 at 8:50 PM

Hi there, Happy Birthday to you & have a wonderful day.:-)

• rhopkins70's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2007 at 7:25 PM

Greetings from Australia! Happy Birthday to you! Hope you are well and having a good day. Looking forward to getting back to england sometime soon.

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2006 at 11:41 PM

Is that your border collie? I had one and I love them.

• zazatann's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2006 at 6:20 AM

Just wanna say "Happy Birthday" to you. Smile.....Greeting from Bangkok, Teya

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!