"Charming island" Île d' Yeu by chess_machine
Île d' Yeu Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 4 photos
First fact: l'Ile d'Yeu is the furthest from the coast island of the French Atlantic coast.
Second fact: l'Ile d'Yeu is a small island. Only 23 square kilometers. Making it really easy to visit in its whole.
Well, I was disappointed the first day I arrived there since the weather wasnt great and I had many many expectations about the island. Many people told me it was amazing and I did not find it amazing. But after spending the whole weekend there, I must admit it is a really charming place and a beautiful island. And one great thing about the island is that you really feel like you are in an island, much more than on other French Atlantic coast islands, such as Ré or Noirmoutier.
Most of the activity within the island is concentrated in capital Port Joinville. Though it is a capital, it is not a huge city, but a 2000 inhabitants place, where you will find most hotels, restaurants, bars, the post office and banks. The basic stuff for a capital.
Most interesting places I visited were La Meule, a charming harbour, and le Vieux Chateau, a 14th century castle. Both are on the South coast, which has beautiful beaches and a great landscape.
L'Ile d'Yeu is also famous for fishing. The first economic activity is tourism but then comes fishing. So, you will be able to enjoy wonderful tuna and great seafood there.
- Pros:Its isolation, the food
- Cons:Quite small (which is also an advantage), lack of nightlife activities
The old castle was build during the 14th century, from stones. Probably the oldest monument on the island, surrounded by... more travel advice
Since the island is very small, it is really turned on biking. Most of the places are less than 30 minutes biking from... more travel advice
chess_machine's Related Pages
Île d' Yeu Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Île d' Yeu
- 4 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Île d' Yeu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Île d' Yeu
Photos in Île d' YeuSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nantes Intro, 47 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- France Intro, 18 reviews, 14 photos
- Paris Intro, 17 reviews, 13 photos
- Rotterdam Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- La Baule-Escoublac Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Île de Noirmoutier Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos
- Saint-Nazaire Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Berlin Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Concarneau Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Ancenis Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos