"Albany, Oregon...Follow Your Nose" Albany by birchy99
Albany Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 128 photos
Albany is located in Interstate 5 a little over half way between Eugene and Salem, the state's capital. For many decades and even today you can find Albany with your eyes closed. Just follow your nose as the smells from the craft papermill and the Wah Chang metals plants will announce your arrival. Both mills are located right next to the interstate and when the wind blows from any direction but East you will know it when you smell it. As a sidelight, the pods on the first manned landing vehicle on the Moon were forged at the Wah Chang plant.
However, despite that, Albany is a nice little historic town on the Willamette River just downstream from Corvallis, sort of a sister city relationship. Albany has a nice historic district with quite a few Victorian houses and shady streets to go with it. It also has its share of strip malls and shopping centers.
We mostly just pass through Albany, but about twice a year we attend dog shows in the Linn County Convention and Fairgrounds east of town. And we have a favorite sandwich/coffee shop we frequent whenever going up or down I-5.
Don't be put off by my leadin. It really is a nice little city and worth a quick tour of the old town area.
birchy99's Related Pages
Albany Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nice Little Town separated by Busy Roads"
- "My Albany, Oregon Page"
- "Albany, Oregon...Follow Your Nose"
- "Mangunsong's new Albany Page"
- "Albany Oregon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Albany
- Hotels in Albany
- Nightlife in Albany
- Restaurants in Albany
- Shopping in Albany
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Albany
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Albany?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Albany
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eugene Intro, 34 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Annan Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chesterfield Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Belfast Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos, 4 travelogues
- Devizes Intro, 6 reviews, 18 photos
- Bath Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 13 reviews, 7 photos
- Dublin Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue