"My Hometown" Hazard by maryinutopia

Hazard Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 2 photos

I've lived in Hazard, Kentucky for 50 out of my 53 years. It's a small town in the southeastern part of Kentucky. It's a mountainous region and is very beautiful in the spring, summer and fall. If the snow is falling, it's also beautiful but if not, the mountains look brown and bare. We have 2 lakes, Buckhorn Lake which is about 25 miles from Hazard and Carrs Fork Lake which is 15 miles from Hazard. Summer brings a lot of boating, swimming, skiing, jetskiing, 4-wheeling, motorcycle riding, and baseball. The Perry County Park has a very large swimming pool, about 5 or 6 baseball/softball fields, a walking track, picnic shelters, basketball courts, miniature golf and tennis courts. Come visit us in the mountains!

Hey, did I say come visit us in the mountains...check out my mountaintop home travelogue to see where I'm building a house and enjoy the gorgeous view!

The photo above is kind of an overview of downtown from the backside!

• Intro Written Jul 30, 2002

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2008 at 6:44 AM

Hi Mary, great info. I was actually born here.

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2008 at 4:48 AM

Nice picture of Hazard which I did not know. Thanks for telling me about it. By the way, do you know why your town is called "hazrd"? Good day.

• BeatChick's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2007 at 4:30 PM

Hi Mary! Here's another Mary who grew up in Floyd Co. (Martin - pop. 800). My grandmother spent some time in the retirement home there - a lovely place to visit.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2006 at 7:31 PM

Great restaurant tips, but every time I've been in Hazard I've eaten the gizzard dinner at Lees Fried Chicken. We hope to get to Buckhorn State Park someday.

• Karolina01's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2004 at 8:50 AM

Hy Mari, my favorite fast food is KFC. I found a job four years ago in this part of the World, and it changed my life completely.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2004 at 7:03 PM

My parents lived near Benton on Ky. Lake. I've been through Hazard, and it is quaint and unique and in a beautiful location.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2004 at 7:29 AM

Is it risky living in Hazard? (I expect you've heard that joke before.)

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2003 at 5:17 AM

if i hazard a choice, i'll opt for a local Diner - any suggestions ? ;-)))

• johanl's Profile Photo