"John's World" PhillyJohn's Profile

At Home & Around

I am married to a wonderful woman and I have a wonderful daughter who is now my globe-trotting companion

At home I am happiest in the Garden (unless mosquitos are around).

My number one passion is travelling. I am not fullfilled unless I see at least one new place each year. Unfortunately my wife is not a traveler; she prefers beach time. I am trying to convince her to get a passport!

I have been in every US state, except Hawaii. I have been to Canada, Germany, Thailand and one other Southeast asian nation!
I enjoy meeting new people with different backgrounds. I enjoy diversity and I want to see Europe before it becomes homogenized totally, like the USA.

Today is the 2 week anniversary of our return from the Netherlands. I miss it very much. I am already trying to see how I can get back to see more and revisit some of the places I went to there.

We are now planning our trip in May 2006 to Bavaria! We look forward to visiting this beautiful land of Germany and we will take lots of pictures.

Been there; Done that

We have now been to Bavaria (& Salzburg, AU) in May of 2006. We had a very pleasant experience and the weather was wonderful. We had the pleasure of Rhineroll' s company for a few days also.

In October I took another (solo) trip to Belgium, Netherlands and a side trip to Lille, France. On that trip I re-joined with two VT friends and met many other wonderful VT people. I liked that so much I may do it again in May 2007 with my daughter, (still to be determined).

And again

In May my daughter & I did revisit the places I visited in October 2006. We stayed in Brussels 2 days, then Ostende 5 days and finally stayed in Delft, NL for two days.
While in Brussels we met up for a big meet with MANY people from many online travel sites and got to visit for a short time with Irisbe. We went on Sunday to Brugge and spent most of the day in that really lovely city. In the evening we headed for our base in Ostende.
On Monday we travelled to Tournai. The weather was awful but we enjoyed what time we had there. On the way back we did a short stop in Kortrijk. We also visited Lille on Tuesday, Ghent on Wednsday, and back to Brugge for the museums on Thursday. Friday we travelled to Delft and spent Saturday in Hoorn. Left for Home on Sunday A.M.

At Last!

Well I have finally gotten my wife to 'cross the pond' with me. In early November, 2007, we spent 8 days in Munich. She enjoyed it very much, especially the beautiful churches. We both went to mass in St. Michael's and it was a wonderful service, with music and all.
Anne also liked the pastries (especially at Rischardt's) and we had lot's of Bratwurst too.

Our weather was not great most of the time, but we had a few good days.
I will try to post some pictures here before they get 'stale'

what's up lately?

Since that trip with my wife to Munich, I have returned to Europe 3 times. In Spring of '08 I flew to Brussels, toured up through Aachen, down the Rhine (visiting my friend Rhineroll), stayed at Trier, saw Luxembourg and a few other places.
In October '08 I flew to Frankfurt and stayed a few days, then down to Freiburg & Basel. I got to spend time in Colmar. I really liked Freiburg and Colmar.
My last trip in April '09 was to Frankfurt, Boppard and Cologne (and visited Winfried again).
The next trip is next week: Frankfurt, Cologne & the Lahn valley with my youngest brother. It is his first trip to the continent (he has been to Ireland). I surer hope the weather is as good as last April.

• Intro Updated Mar 29, 2010

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
PhillyJohn's Profile Photo

PhillyJohn

“See it all before it's too late”

Real Name