"My winter holiday in summer" Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch by knerten
Christchurch Travel Guide: 1,247 reviews and 2,635 photos
I left summer in Norway for winter in NZ. Pretty stupid, I know, but it was the only time I could get off work for 2 months to do my research on my PhD without upsetting my boss too much.
Judging by the summer weather in Norway so far, the swap wasn't too bad, and winter in Christchurch has proved itself to be a pleasant surprise.
Make that a "so far", because today, August 15th, it snowed! Well, it is supposed to be winter alright...
For the record, I left NZ on August 25th.
What is the most intruiging thing about Christchurch, or short Chch, as called by the local kiwis, and what really took me by me by surprise here, is the Asian, particular Korean, population. Albeit they only muster some 10000 compared to the total population of 300000, they make a distinct mark on the city: Korean restaurants and Sushi takeways abound. I would say that if you're anywhere in the city centre, you'd never have to walk more than 5 minutes to find one. They seem to run all the small 7-11-like shops, you'll find more Asian food stores than traditional corner dairies, and they're all over campus! At times I feel more like in the Far East than in good ol' rustique New Zealand.
I love Asian food, and after a 3-day stopover in sumptious Singapore I was preparing myself for 2 months of baked beans and sausages and some fish and chips, but this is heaven...almost.
Christchurch lies on a river plain and most of the time in winter it's not that windy, so the smog settles pretty quickly. Add to that all the fireplaces and woodburners in people's homes than you have a recipe for bad air. It's supposed to have been worse 10-20 years back, but I think it's still bad. So bad that when I went to Wellington on a short trip, and after cleasning my luings with the fresh air there, I noticed that all my clothing, my bags and myself smelled like "soot" as if I'd been lying smouldering in a fireplace. Yuk!
The air is generally clean on windy and rainy days, but if you suffer from asthma, don't count on those days for your visit.
- Pros:A lot to offer if you look for it
- Cons:Air Pollution in Winter
- In a nutshell:I like this place, I could almost live here for good.
The vendors are always eager to attract customers, and the lady at the Thai foodstall even offered me a small taster,... more travel advice
Away from the other food stalls, tucked away in a corner closes to Worcester Blvd, you'll find a foodstall selling Greek... more travel advice
- See All Christchurch Cathedral
- See All Outdoor Chess
- See All Bloody Departure Tax!
- See All Save the GST
knerten's Related Pages
Christchurch Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shaken but not beaten: A city rising from ruins"
- "My Home - The (Shakey) Garden City"
- "Over Looking Lyttelton Harbour"
- "Charming Christchurch"
- "My winter holiday in summer"
- "Christchurch - Gateway to the South Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Christchurch
- Hotels in Christchurch
- Transportation in Christchurch
- Nightlife in Christchurch
- Restaurants in Christchurch
- Shopping in Christchurch
- Warnings and Dangers in Christchurch
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Christchurch
- 35 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Christchurch?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Christchurch
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Molde Intro, 34 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 35 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 32 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Trondheim Intro, 12 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 12 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melbourne Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Hjelmeland Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wellington Intro, 14 reviews, 13 photos
- Strasbourg Intro, 13 reviews, 12 photos
- Queenstown Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues