"Sakhalin Island" Sakhalin by wild_julia

Sakhalin Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 17 photos

Sakhalin North

I went to Sakhalin Island in March 2005 with my boyfriend. We both work for the same company in oil and gas industry. I must say I was really nervous to go there mostly because of the weather. It gets very cold there, something like -40C

We took a plane from Moscow to Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk (sort of like the capital of Sakhalin Island) and in 8.5 hours we were there. Flying there was quite an experience. Nothing against Transaero, but they should really watch for people smoking in the toilets on the plane. The fire alarm was going off every 5 minutes and it was very annoying. The airport was the smallest I've ever seen. You had to walk on the runway to get to the terminal and then wait outside in the freezing cold for your bags.

In the evening we took an overnight train from Yuzhno to Nogliki, which is the last train station in the north. Nogliki is a smalll village/town with absolutely nothing to see. Most people living there work on Sakhalin 1 project which is where we worked with my boyfriend.

I must say that Sakhalin is a very beautiful place. The nature there is just amazing especially in May and June (before mosquitos wake up). You can see foxes running around, big eagles flying above you (orlans) and even bears. You can pick up cloudberries ("moroshka") by the sea side and walk on a real iceberg by the beach.
Take a look at the pictures : )

Nogliki

Nogliki - the last train station in the north of Sakhalin. Small, but beautiful in winter.

Sakhalin 1 project - sea side

Sea side just next to the Sakhalin 1 plant. You can actually take a walk from the camp to the site, it's about 30 minutes. There's a fence there now, so I don't think you can do that now.

• Pros:Beautiful, wild life is amazing
  • Cons:Freaking cold!!!
  • In a nutshell:Cold, but beautiful
  • Last visit to Sakhalin: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 12, 2005

wild_julia Works Here!

wild_julia

“Explore!”

Badges & Stats in Sakhalin

Have you been to Sakhalin?

Latest Activity in Sakhalin