"Mittenwald . . . home of violin makers" Top 5 Page for this destination Mittenwald by Beausoleil

Mittenwald Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 287 photos

Drive through lovely Bavaria to Mittenwald

We were driving through Bavaria on our way to Mittenwald and passed this beautiful church on a hillside. The onion dome is so typical of the area and it was so perfectly situated, I had to paint it.

This page is really about Mittenwald which is probably my favorite town in Bavaria. It is famous for it's violins but the town is absolutely beautiful.

This is the main street of Mittenwald. There is a little canal running down the street. Some places it is covered with a wooden walkway. Other places it is a little in-town stream.

The buildings are all painted and beautiful. If you look around carefully, you can see references to the town vocation of violin making. For example there is a tower that has a huge treble clef on the side.

There are many wood carving shops and you can talk to the carvers.

This is a typical painting on the front of a building. The scenes are usually village life, religious themes or hunting themes. They are all in excellent condition, never marred or chipped. They all look as though they had been painted yesterday. I have no idea how they do this.

Houses out in the country are also painted. Everyone in Bavaria must be an artist . . . or at least deeply appreciate art.

• Pros:Utterly charming, quaint village
  • Cons:Don't fall into the little canal . . .
  • In a nutshell:This looks like a tiny town out of a German fairy tale.
  • Intro Updated May 10, 2012

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Sadly, bad weather got in the way of our seeing everything that had been planned on our recent visit to Bavaria and Mittenwald was one of the casualties. I can see why you love it so much. Did you know that stevemt's violin was made in Mittenwald in 1799!? Lovely page Sally.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo
      Feb 18, 2014 at 7:17 AM

Hi. That's amazing about the violin. I'll have to check his pages. That is fascinating. We loved Mittenwald.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Again thanks for your tour :-) I might add Mittenwald to my visit plans and oh my... the dishes sound delicious :-)

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2011 at 3:23 AM

What a lovely place and interesting page Sal. Specially the violin making. The mini canals remind me of the Bachle in Freiburg im Breisgau also saw some in Alsace - Colmar I think. Very cooling in summer and take away the snowmelt & rain in winter!

• BeaTest's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2011 at 6:43 AM

Hallo, you are right, those canals are a danger !

• May 25, 2011 at 11:47 AM

yes, Mittenwald is a great place !

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Hi S! I've never been to bavaria but heard so many good things about going through VT..hope I pass by Mittenvald someday (your favourtie)...Norman :)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2008 at 2:27 AM

Nice photos and good tips. Mittenwald looks like a town worth visiting, so pretty.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2006 at 9:29 AM

What a pretty little town! I can see how you might fall into the water.

• rubbersoul75's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2006 at 12:12 AM

Mittenwald is where we noticed our 1st daughters 1st tooth... holding her up high for a photo with the Alps in the background! A Nice little Gem of a town, and nice page. ciao

• nhoolb's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2006 at 11:16 AM

Very nice...brings back memories from childhood when we went there a couple of times with my parents.

Beausoleil

“Live long enough to see it all.”

Badges & Stats in Mittenwald

Have you been to Mittenwald?