"Mittenwald . . . home of violin makers" Top 5 Page for this destination Mittenwald by Beausoleil
Mittenwald Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 287 photos
We were driving through Bavaria on our way to Mittenwald and passed this beautiful church on a hillside. The onion dome is so typical of the area and it was so perfectly situated, I had to paint it.
This page is really about Mittenwald which is probably my favorite town in Bavaria. It is famous for it's violins but the town is absolutely beautiful.
This is the main street of Mittenwald. There is a little canal running down the street. Some places it is covered with a wooden walkway. Other places it is a little in-town stream.
The buildings are all painted and beautiful. If you look around carefully, you can see references to the town vocation of violin making. For example there is a tower that has a huge treble clef on the side.
There are many wood carving shops and you can talk to the carvers.
This is a typical painting on the front of a building. The scenes are usually village life, religious themes or hunting themes. They are all in excellent condition, never marred or chipped. They all look as though they had been painted yesterday. I have no idea how they do this.
Houses out in the country are also painted. Everyone in Bavaria must be an artist . . . or at least deeply appreciate art.
- Pros:Utterly charming, quaint village
- Cons:Don't fall into the little canal . . .
- In a nutshell:This looks like a tiny town out of a German fairy tale.
The outside of the church is charming, but go inside and see the rest of the story. There are wonderful paintings and... more travel advice
This tiny canal running down the center of the sidewalk is very picturesque, but if there are a lot of tourists, you... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Mittenwald Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On Finally Making it to Marvelous Mittenwald"
- "Mittenwald . . . home of violin makers"
- "The fantastic facades of Mittenwald"
- "WALKING THROUGH A PICTURE BOOK OF HOMES!"
- "Bavarian Top Village"
- "The perfect alpine town"
- "Views of Mittenwald"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mittenwald
- Hotels in Mittenwald
- Transportation in Mittenwald
- Restaurants in Mittenwald
- Shopping in Mittenwald
- Warnings and Dangers in Mittenwald
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mittenwald
- 5 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (250)
Have you been to Mittenwald?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mittenwald
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: Pick Your Own (PYO) farms"
- Commented on one of Beausoleil's Mittenwald travel pages
- updated a Mittenwald Travel Page "Mittenwald . . . home of violin makers"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mittenwald . . . home of violin makers"
- Wrote a Review Visit the church in Mittenwald Things to Do
Photos in MittenwaldSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 130 reviews, 486 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 32 reviews, 155 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Avignon Intro, 9 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Nice Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue