"Plockton on Loch Carron in the Highlands" Plockton by Beausoleil
Plockton Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 36 photos
We rented a cottage on Loch Carron (in Lochcarron) and decided to drive to Plockton one day. What a wonderful trip. Plockton is a really nice town with views in every direction.
We ate at the Plockton Hotel Restaurant and got a bar table with a harbor view. We got a gratinéed fish bake that was excellent and shared a starter of “smokies” we loved. Ed got whiskey ice cream and I got a whiskey-pecan tart for dessert . . . really good! Everyone was very friendly and it was a lot of fun.
When you drive out of town, you come to Duirinish nearby where Highland cows are wandering along (and in) the road. This was my opportunity to get photos!
Duirinish was tiny, including the streets but it was stunning. It's on a drive along Loch Carron and there are warning signs about cattle in the road. They aren't kidding. The incredibly fuzzy Highland Cows are wandering in and out of the road and you dodge them. Actually, if you are like me, you stop and take pictures of them!
Loch Carron is a sea loch so is connected to the ocean and has tides. This is low tide and you can easily walk to the nearby island. You have to keep an eye on the tide though because when it's in, the path is completely under water.
Plockton is also in a micro climate and they actually have palm trees growing there. They aren't large palm trees but they are authentic. Since we live in southern California, I know a palm tree when I see one.
This was a very small town strung out along the loch but it was very interesting with lots of galleries and souvenir shops and lovely walks nearby. The hotel right on the shore has good food and very friendly service.
- Pros:Stunningly beautiful small Scot town
- Cons:It's a bit out of the way but that's part of the charm.
- In a nutshell:Friendly, peaceful, beautiful . . . and very friendly.
The food was very good but the service was amazing. We wandered through town and belatedly decided we were... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Plockton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "a great place to be brought up in"
- "A stop in Plockton"
- "Plockton on Loch Carron in the Highlands"
- "Plockton - Wow!"
- "Tiny but quaint"
- "Plockton - a pleasant stop"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Plockton
- Hotels in Plockton
- Transportation in Plockton
- Restaurants in Plockton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Plockton
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (184)
Have you been to Plockton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Plockton
- Posted in Travel Paris Forum "Re: Le Pas Mur"
- Commented on one of photohappy's Plockton travel pages
- Wrote a Review Check the palm tree on the sign! in Plockton Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Check the palm tree on the sign!"
- created a Plockton Travel Page "Plockton on Loch Carron in the Highlands"
Photos in PlocktonSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 126 reviews, 464 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 32 reviews, 154 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Nice Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues