"Plockton on Loch Carron in the Highlands" Plockton by Beausoleil

Plockton Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 36 photos

Don't miss Plockton on Loch Carron

We rented a cottage on Loch Carron (in Lochcarron) and decided to drive to Plockton one day. What a wonderful trip. Plockton is a really nice town with views in every direction.

We ate at the Plockton  Hotel Restaurant and got a bar table with a harbor view. We got a gratinéed fish bake that was excellent and shared a starter of “smokies” we loved. Ed got whiskey ice cream and I got a whiskey-pecan tart for dessert . . . really good! Everyone was very friendly and it was a lot of fun.

When you drive out of town, you come to Duirinish nearby where Highland cows are wandering along (and in) the road. This was my opportunity to get photos!

Don't miss Duirinish, i.e. don't blink.

Duirinish was tiny, including the streets but it was stunning. It's on a drive along Loch Carron and there are warning signs about cattle in the road. They aren't kidding. The incredibly fuzzy Highland Cows are wandering in and out of the road and you dodge them. Actually, if you are like me, you stop and take pictures of them!

View of Plockton along the Loch

Loch Carron is a sea loch so is connected to the ocean and has tides. This is low tide and you can easily walk to the nearby island. You have to keep an eye on the tide though because when it's in, the path is completely under water.

Plockton is also in a micro climate and they actually have palm trees growing there. They aren't large palm trees but they are authentic. Since we live in southern California, I know a palm tree when I see one.

This was a very small town strung out along the loch but it was very interesting with lots of galleries and souvenir shops and lovely walks nearby. The hotel right on the shore has good food and very friendly service.

• Pros:Stunningly beautiful small Scot town
  • Cons:It's a bit out of the way but that's part of the charm.
  • In a nutshell:Friendly, peaceful, beautiful . . . and very friendly.
  • Last visit to Plockton: May 2006
  • Intro Written Dec 4, 2006

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2009 at 12:29 AM

Oh yes, Plockton and the scottish palmtrees, that is a great place to remember for me , too !

• vtveen's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2006 at 12:20 AM

Thanks for dropping by my Scotland page. I'm afraid we missed 'Duirinish'; so we have to go back !!

• MichaelFalk1969's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2006 at 11:54 PM

Hi, I absolutely agree on Plockton. We liked Plockton sooooo much (though no travel guide ever mentioned it).

Beausoleil

“Live long enough to see it all.”

Badges & Stats in Plockton

Have you been to Plockton?