"Great base for New Grange, Knowth and Malahide" Trim by Beausoleil
Trim Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 106 photos
We visited Trim twice on our last trip to Ireland. Once we were driving our daughter to the Dublin Airport from Galway and decided to stop and check the castle at Trim. You are required to do a tour and our guide was excellent.
The weather was not excellent and we took the tour in a very windy rain so particularly enjoyed the inside of the castle. The views from the top are marvelous but we didn't discover that until our second trip on a clear day.
We wanted to see New Grange and Knowth and saved it for the end of our trip. Probably not a great idea but it worked. It was very windy and rained off and on all day but by the end of a month in Ireland, we were used to rain.
You have to see both of these places on a tour so your first stop is the official Visitor Center to book the tour. In season, you might want to book ahead because when they have filled all the tour groups, no one else goes. We were probably lucky because we arrived very early and the weather was not great.
We used Trim as our base for visiting New Grange, but you could use Dublin or even Swords for your base equally well.
We took the castle tour and the view from the top is amazing. It is set on the River Boyne and on the other side of the river are two more ruins you can visit. There are two bridges, one up river and one down river, and a hiking trail.
The entire town is in a beautiful setting and worth a stay, not just a drive-through. The first time we made a day trip and the second time we stayed and were very glad we did.
- Pros:Pretty small town
- In a nutshell:Ruins, castle, river, bakery, restaurants, great little town
This was the last B&B on our recent trip to Ireland. It's a vine-covered house in the country outside Trim. Anne and... more travel advice
You can't miss the castle in Trim. It is huge and stands above the entire town. It's right on the river so a lovely... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Trim Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Trim, County Meath, Ireland"
- "Great base for New Grange, Knowth and Malahide"
- "First Nights in Ireland"
- "Trim Castle"
- "Trim Castle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trim
- Hotels in Trim
- Transportation in Trim
- Nightlife in Trim
- Restaurants in Trim
- Warnings and Dangers in Trim
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trim
- 4 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (178)
Have you been to Trim?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trim
Photos in TrimSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 111 reviews, 372 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 31 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Nice Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues