"A Walled City . . . with 14 towers" Top 5 Page for this destination Monteriggioni by Beausoleil
Monteriggioni Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 115 photos
A friend gave us a book that had a small article about Monteriggioni so, since we were in Tuscany, we decided to find it. It is out in the countryside with no town attached, just the medieval walled city.
There is a free parking lot at the base of the hill and there is a pay parking lot just outside the city gate. No cars are allowed inside the walls except for residents and deliveries. No buses are allowed inside the walls at all. This was a great relief since we had been nearly unable to walk in "pedestrianized" Lucca due to not only residents' cars and delivery vans but city buses and at least a million bicycles that zip through the streets without so much as a warning bell to hapless pedestrians. Monteriggioni was a joy compared to that!
Since there is no town outside the city walls, tourism is the only thing keeping this place alive so there are tourist shops aplenty. However, there are also stores and shops for the people who live and work here and plenty of active artists and craftspeople. The church is an active parish. In other words, it is a "real" town but it does encourage tourism.
There are B&Bs and at least one hotel within the walls. There are restaurants in and around the square. There is a small park, lots of seating on the main piazza and great people watching everywhere.
Check the Travelogue below for more photos.
If you do nothing else touristy, walk the ramparts. They are not completely open, but the section that is open gives marvelous views onto the Chianti countryside. You also have great views of the town and gardens.
I mentioned San Gimignano and except for size, the striking difference between the two is that in San Gimignano the towers are inside the city; in Monteriggioni the towers are in the walls around the city. They were watch towers.
- Pros:Absolutely unspoiled walled city
- In a nutshell:Peaceful day in the Chianti countryside, no traffic, great views
You can park your car in either of the two parking lots, Then you walk into the village via a very large gate between... more travel advice
The first and second week of July is "The Monteriggioni Medieval Festival" and you can get all the info from the Office... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Monteriggioni Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Castle - under siege"
- "A Medieval Fortress"
- "A Walled City . . . with 14 towers"
- "Monteriggioni - Small is beautiful"
- "What's all the fuss about?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monteriggioni
- Hotels in Monteriggioni
- Restaurants in Monteriggioni
- Warnings and Dangers in Monteriggioni
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monteriggioni
- 4 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (286)
Have you been to Monteriggioni?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monteriggioni
Photos in MonteriggioniSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 132 reviews, 496 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 33 reviews, 160 photos, 2 travelogues
- Avignon Intro, 13 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nice Intro, 13 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos