"Mont Saint Michel in my eyes" Mont Saint Michel by Beausoleil
Mont Saint Michel Travel Guide: 302 reviews and 985 photos
This has to be one of the most-photographed sites in the world. No matter where you are when you first see it, you are filled with awe. No matter how many times you return, you are filled with awe. It is stunning in sunshine and in rain. There is just something magical about the site of the abbey on top of a mountain.
For those worried, they give you tide information so you won't lose your car or tour bus to rising water. The really high tides are at Spring and Autumn Equinoxes. The rest of the year tides are more normal.
This is a shot I took from the car as we drove home after spending a wonderful day on the Mont. The first time we visited many years ago I complained about the crowds (in season) and my husband commented that the Mont had been a pilgrimage site for hundreds of years so the crowds were probably pretty authentic. I'm not sure it helped but at least I stopped complaining!
Since we've retired, we've discovered the crowds are pretty thick out of season also. I just keep telling myself it's an authentic experience. There were people then selling things in tourist (pilgrimage) shops along the streets and people elbow to elbow in the streets. At least when you get inside the church it is relatively calm.
Far from the madding crowd . . . I caught this young nun in a moment of contemplation inside the beautiful church at the top of Mont Saint Michel. This is what the abbey is all about and why people still go there. Yes, the views are spectacular both coming and going but there is a peace inside the abbey that resists all that tourism throws at it.
They do still hold religious services there and you are always invited.
- Pros:Stunningly beautiful, both on approach and inside
- Cons:Tourist hordes are inescapable even out of season
- In a nutshell:If you look for it, there is peace to be found on the Mont.
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Mont Saint Michel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A place that simply redefines 'awesome'!"
- "Mont St Michel - "The Marvel of the Western World""
- "Merveille de l’Occident"
- "A wonderful corner of France"
- "A shock for the eyes and the soul"
- "Le Mont Saint Michel, the western wonder"
- "Mont St-Michel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mont Saint Michel
- Hotels in Mont Saint Michel
- Transportation in Mont Saint Michel
- Nightlife in Mont Saint Michel
- Restaurants in Mont Saint Michel
- Shopping in Mont Saint Michel
- Warnings and Dangers in Mont Saint Michel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mont Saint Michel
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 48 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (146)
Have you been to Mont Saint Michel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mont Saint Michel
- Posted in Travel Ireland Forum "Re: Visa for short stay or 90..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Don't miss the Abbey"
- Wrote a Review Don't miss the Abbey about The Abbey in Mont Saint Michel Things to Do
- Commented on one of SandiM's Mont Saint Michel travel pages
- updated a Mont Saint Michel Travel Page "Mont Saint Michel in my eyes"
Photos in Mont Saint MichelSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 327 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 31 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Carcassonne Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Mont Saint Michel hotel reviews
- 138 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Relais St Michel
- 70 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- La Mere Poulard
- 159 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Auberge Saint-Pierre
- 180 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- La Vieille Auberge
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 17, 2013
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Le Mouton Blanc
- 190 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- La Digue
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 17, 2013
- Terrasses Poulard
- 93 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013