"Aigues Mortes in the Camargue" Top 5 Page for this destination Aigues-Mortes by Beausoleil
Aigues-Mortes Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 124 photos
In Stes. Maries de la Mer, south of Aigues Mortes, there is a Gypsy Festival every May. This is not the only time you see them though. They have a long and very interesting history in the area. Do stop in the church just off Place St. Louis because there are some very interesting exhibits and stories of the Aigues Mortes / Gypsy connections.
It's fun to walk the streets of Aigues Mortes visiting all the touristy little shops, especially the nougat shops! However, don't miss the chance to climb the Tower of Constance for the wonderful views all around the town. On a clear day it is unbelievable. There is an elevator which you can use when it's working.
When you've climbed the tower, take a walk around the ramparts. You get stunning views in every direction both inside and outside the town.
One of the joys of walking the ramparts is you see everything without being in a crowd. Most people are down on the streets . . . as you can clearly see. The Place St. Louis is in the distance and is great people watching with the fountain and all the outdoor cafes.
If you look off the ramparts in the other direction, you see huge mountains of salt that has been harvested nearby.
- Pros:Stunning setting, lots of fun, history come to life
- Cons:Can get a bit overcrowded in season
- In a nutshell:A great visit while in the Camargue, restaurants, shops, history, views.
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Aigues-Mortes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A great well preserved medieval city"
- "Aigues-Mortes, a medeveal harbour"
- "Aigues Mortes in the Camargue"
- "Aigues-Mortes - Salt Town"
- "The walled city in the Camargue"
- "The City in the Dead Waters"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aigues-Mortes
- Hotels in Aigues-Mortes
- Transportation in Aigues-Mortes
- Restaurants in Aigues-Mortes
- Shopping in Aigues-Mortes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aigues-Mortes
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (162)
Have you been to Aigues-Mortes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aigues-Mortes
- Posted in Travel Paris Forum "Re: Three days in Paris "
- Commented on one of Beausoleil's Aigues-Mortes travel pages
- Wrote a Review Take a Walk . . . always take a walk in Aigues-Mortes Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Take a Walk . . . always take a walk"
- created a Aigues-Mortes Travel Page "Aigues Mortes in the Camargue"
Photos in Aigues-MortesSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 101 reviews, 334 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 31 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Nice Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues