"Azay-le-Rideau, the town and the Chateau" Top 5 Page for this destination Azay-le-Rideau by Beausoleil
Azay-le-Rideau Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 186 photos
Azay-le-Rideau is a charming little town in the Loire Valley. The chateau is one of the smaller ones, but beautifully furnished and utterly delightful. It is surrounded by water and next to the river Indre. The nearby streets are pedestrianized and there are little shops catering for tourists. If you walk a few blocks, you come to the Azay of the locals with patisseries and regular shops.
There is a small park by the river and a mill race that is quite picturesque. The chateau has a light show in the evenings during the season and it is well worth the small charge. It's rather magical to see the castle lit and the shadow performance as you walk through the grounds to piped in music.
This is one exit from the chateau and if you follow it, you enter the town. Follow rue Balzac and you will pass Le Biencourt, an old schoolhouse that has been turned into a charming hotel. A bit further on is a tea room on the left (that I do NOT recommend) and a small restaurant that used to be excellent but seems to have fallen on bad times, at least that was our last experience.
If you turn left on rue Victor Hugo and left again on rue Nationale, you will come to an excellent, and reasonably priced, restaurant, Le Ridelloise where we usually eat.
This is the view of the chateau that greets you. It is shining white and lovely. There are volunteers who make flower arrangements shown throughout the chateau and they have the occasional workshop there.
We've been there in season and out and it never seems as crowded and hectic as the more famous chateaux. It's a shame anyone would miss Azay because it is one of the more nicely furnished castles and certainly one of the most charming.
- Pros:Small quiet peaceful village with friendly people.
- Cons:Not a lot happening at night except for the light show.
- In a nutshell:A lovely touring base for the Loire chateaux
Saint Symphorien is an ancient church near the chateau, an easy walk. The facade looks very old because much of it is.... more travel advice
The people who manage and work there make this a lovely experience. They are concerned, professional and very friendly.... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Azay-le-Rideau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Reflections on a Château’s Reflection"
- "Chateau d'Azay-le-Rideau"
- "We loved our visit to this small gem of a chateau"
- "Azay-le-Rideau, the town and the Chateau"
- "Balzac's "Diamond Cut in Facets""
- "Freecloud's Chateau de Azay-le-Rideau"
- "The Floating chateau"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Azay-le-Rideau
- Hotels in Azay-le-Rideau
- Restaurants in Azay-le-Rideau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Azay-le-Rideau
- 4 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (255)
Have you been to Azay-le-Rideau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Azay-le-Rideau
- Posted in Travel Finland Forum "Re: STATE DEPARTMENT TRAVEL WARNING"
- Wrote a Review Always visit the church in Azay-le-Rideau Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Always visit the church"
- Commented on one of Beausoleil's Azay-le-Rideau travel pages
- updated a Azay-le-Rideau Travel Page "Azay-le-Rideau, the town and the Chateau"
Photos in Azay-le-RideauSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 131 reviews, 491 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 32 reviews, 155 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Avignon Intro, 12 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nice Intro, 13 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos