"Banyuls wine . . . need I say more?" Banyuls-sur-Mer by Beausoleil
Banyuls-sur-Mer Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 36 photos
Banyuls-sur-Mer is particularly famous for two things, sculptor Aristide Maillol was born here and the local wine is well known and excellent.
The sculptures are hard to miss because there are standing metal frames all over town and when you look through them, you see a Maillol sculpture. It's fun.
What many people do not know is that the oldest aquarium on the French Mediterranean coast is located here. It was founded in 1885 by the University of Paris. It is open for visitors in cooperation with the Observatoire Océanologique and as part of the Laboratoire Arago. It's open year round although has longer hours in the summer.
You walk along the sidewalk enjoying the busy harbor scene, but if you descend to dock level, you immediately become aware of many little businesses under the street. We visited a very pleasant watercolorist and bought a trio of small paintings for our youngest daughter.
We drove down this road coming into town and reversed ourselves leaving. It is a lovely drive either way and a stunning photo.
- Pros:Wine village, university, pleasure port, art . . .
- In a nutshell:A lovely place to spend a few days . . . or weeks.
The sculptor Aristide Maillol was born in Banyuls-sur-Mer. There is a Maillol Museum in Paris, but you can visit the... more travel advice
The oldest aquarium on the French Mediterranean coast is located in Banyuls-sur-Mer. It was founded in 1885 by the... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Banyuls-sur-Mer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Banyuls wine . . . need I say more?"
- "Banyuls sur Mer"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Banyuls-sur-Mer
- 4 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (162)
Have you been to Banyuls-sur-Mer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banyuls-sur-Mer
Photos in Banyuls-sur-MerSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 101 reviews, 334 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 31 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Nice Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues