"Bayeux is a lovely town with a famous tapestry" Bayeux by Beausoleil
Bayeux Travel Guide: 197 reviews and 595 photos
This is a really old photo (predigital) because we usually visit in the autumn and the flowers are not blooming. The mill is nice but it looks spectacular with the flowers.
Walk on to visit the town, the market, the church and the tapestry.
The tapestry has its own museum and there are signs to it all over town. Just follow the tour buses!
Honestly, it is really worth the effort. It is amazing. It is very narrow and extremely long. I'm sure someone on VT has posted exact measurements so I won't bother. It is behind glass and you are herded through. However, that said, you are close enough to get a seamstress-eye view and check every stitch. We bought a book of the story later and then had to go back to see all the things we missed the first time.
We were renting a house near Bayeux and the owner told us to be sure to visit the market in Bayeux. He was spot on. They sold absolutely everything. It was like going to the County Fair in Ohio. We hadn't planned to buy anything, just take pictures when a very nice French market lady asked my husband if he'd like to try a little taste of her cheese. Never one to refuse cheese, he did and then asked me to try it. We ended up going home with enough cheese for the rest of the week. Excellent cheese!
While in Bayeux, don't miss the cathedral either. It is magnificent.
- Pros:Amazing amount of things to do in a small town.
- Cons:Dodging tour buses in season.
- In a nutshell:Beautiful, friendly, historic and beautiful, a great place to visit.
We were renting an apartment south of Caen and our landlady told us not to miss the market in Bayeux on Saturday... more travel advice
The famous Bayeux Tapestry was originally displayed inside this cathedral. It has since been moved to a museum of its... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Bayeux Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The wonderful town of Bayeux"
- "BAYEUX, still a medieval city"
- "Bayeux: City of Conquest"
- "BAYEUX AND NORMANDY"
- "Untouched in the Eye of the Storm"
- "The town of Reine Mathilde"
- "My Trip to the Beaches"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bayeux
- Hotels in Bayeux
- Transportation in Bayeux
- Nightlife in Bayeux
- Restaurants in Bayeux
- Shopping in Bayeux
- Warnings and Dangers in Bayeux
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bayeux
- 4 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 31 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (287)
Have you been to Bayeux?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bayeux
- Posted in Travel Tehran Forum "Re: Visiting USA after visiting..."
- Commented on one of Beausoleil's Bayeux travel pages
- Wrote a Review Shopping is more fun in a street market in Bayeux Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Famous Bayeux Tapestry"
- updated a Bayeux Travel Page "Bayeux is a lovely town with a famous tapestry"
Photos in BayeuxSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 134 reviews, 506 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 33 reviews, 160 photos, 2 travelogues
- Avignon Intro, 13 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 19 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Nice Intro, 13 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos