"Bayeux is a lovely town with a famous tapestry" Bayeux by Beausoleil

Bayeux Travel Guide: 189 reviews and 558 photos

The water mill greets you on the way to market

This is a really old photo (predigital) because we usually visit in the autumn and the flowers are not blooming. The mill is nice but it looks spectacular with the flowers.

Walk on to visit the town, the market, the church and the tapestry.

The famous Bayeux Tapestry

The tapestry has its own museum and there are signs to it all over town. Just follow the tour buses!

Honestly, it is really worth the effort. It is amazing. It is very narrow and extremely long. I'm sure someone on VT has posted exact measurements so I won't bother. It is behind glass and you are herded through. However, that said, you are close enough to get a seamstress-eye view and check every stitch. We bought a book of the story later and then had to go back to see all the things we missed the first time.

Saturday Market

We were renting a house near Bayeux and the owner told us to be sure to visit the market in Bayeux. He was spot on. They sold absolutely everything. It was like going to the County Fair in Ohio. We hadn't planned to buy anything, just take pictures when a very nice French market lady asked my husband if he'd like to try a little taste of her cheese. Never one to refuse cheese, he did and then asked me to try it. We ended up going home with enough cheese for the rest of the week. Excellent cheese!

While in Bayeux, don't miss the cathedral either. It is magnificent.

• Pros:Amazing amount of things to do in a small town.
  • Cons:Dodging tour buses in season.
  • In a nutshell:Beautiful, friendly, historic and beautiful, a great place to visit.
  • Intro Updated Jan 7, 2007

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM

This looks good Sally, definitely on the short list. Thanks.

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Lovely page, as ever, Sally!
    Planning to be in this area in a couple of weeks time, and I can't wait to finally see the tapestry!
    Regards
    Cathy

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2010 at 4:33 AM

The Bayeux Tapestry must be quite a sight to see.

• kathymof's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2008 at 7:50 PM

Hi Sally - I'm going to be in Bayeux for three days next June and will def. try Pommiers. I have read other good reviews about it too. Can't wait - already booked my flight with frequent flier miles.

• codrutz's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2008 at 6:39 AM

I might visit Bayeux after all

Beausoleil

“Live long enough to see it all.”

Badges & Stats in Bayeux