"Bayeux is a lovely town with a famous tapestry" Bayeux by Beausoleil
Bayeux Travel Guide: 189 reviews and 558 photos
This is a really old photo (predigital) because we usually visit in the autumn and the flowers are not blooming. The mill is nice but it looks spectacular with the flowers.
Walk on to visit the town, the market, the church and the tapestry.
The tapestry has its own museum and there are signs to it all over town. Just follow the tour buses!
Honestly, it is really worth the effort. It is amazing. It is very narrow and extremely long. I'm sure someone on VT has posted exact measurements so I won't bother. It is behind glass and you are herded through. However, that said, you are close enough to get a seamstress-eye view and check every stitch. We bought a book of the story later and then had to go back to see all the things we missed the first time.
We were renting a house near Bayeux and the owner told us to be sure to visit the market in Bayeux. He was spot on. They sold absolutely everything. It was like going to the County Fair in Ohio. We hadn't planned to buy anything, just take pictures when a very nice French market lady asked my husband if he'd like to try a little taste of her cheese. Never one to refuse cheese, he did and then asked me to try it. We ended up going home with enough cheese for the rest of the week. Excellent cheese!
While in Bayeux, don't miss the cathedral either. It is magnificent.
- Pros:Amazing amount of things to do in a small town.
- Cons:Dodging tour buses in season.
- In a nutshell:Beautiful, friendly, historic and beautiful, a great place to visit.
We were renting an apartment south of Caen and our landlady told us not to miss the market in Bayeux on Saturday... more travel advice
The famous Bayeux Tapestry was originally displayed inside this cathedral. It has since been moved to a museum of its... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Bayeux Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The wonderful town of Bayeux"
- "BAYEUX, still a medieval city"
- "Bayeux: City of Conquest"
- "BAYEUX AND NORMANDY"
- "Untouched in the Eye of the Storm"
- "My Trip to the Beaches"
- "The town of Reine Mathilde"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bayeux
- Hotels in Bayeux
- Transportation in Bayeux
- Nightlife in Bayeux
- Restaurants in Bayeux
- Shopping in Bayeux
- Warnings and Dangers in Bayeux
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bayeux
- 4 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Bayeux?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bayeux
- Posted in Travel Galway Forum "Re: Galway emergency holiday..."
- Commented on one of Beausoleil's Bayeux travel pages
- Wrote a Review Shopping is more fun in a street market in Bayeux Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Famous Bayeux Tapestry"
- updated a Bayeux Travel Page "Bayeux is a lovely town with a famous tapestry"
Photos in BayeuxSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 327 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 31 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Carcassonne Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Bayeux hotel reviews
- Hotel Churchill
- 686 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- Family Home
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hotel Reine Mathilde
- 373 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Hotel d'Argouges
- 347 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 14, 2013
- Premiere Classe Bayeux
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Hotel Tardif
- 321 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Villa Aggarthi B & B Bayeux
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Hotel et Spa Le Lion d'Or
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Chateau De Bellefontaine Hotel
- 120 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- Le Chateau de Sully Bayeux
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Hotel Le Bayeux
- 477 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 18, 2013
- Manoir Au Pont Rouge
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2010
- Hotel De Brunville Bayeux
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 14, 2013
- Novotel Bayeux
- 157 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Hotel le Maupassant
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2013