"Stunning area on the Dordogne River" Top 5 Page for this destination Beynac-et-Cazenac by Beausoleil
Beynac-et-Cazenac Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 151 photos
We had a wonderful time in the Dordogne region of Aquitaine this spring. It is full of prehistory, history, gardens, rivers and great food. We visited some of all of these including caves. We also got rained on a lot but it didn't dampen our spirits. We put up our umbrellas and kept on sightseeing.
Our last day in the Dordogne region we didn't want to drive far so decided to visit the Chateau at Beynac-et-Cazenac just down the road. We drove across the Dordogne, through La Roque Gageac and on to Beynac where we found signs to the chateau.
Next we followed signs to chateau parking that took us through town, out into the countryside and up a huge hill. We wondered where we would end up, but we circled around and ended up at chateau parking. There is a lot of parking (pay parking) and it's about a 2-minute walk to the chateau.
The road back to town is much more direct.
You drive to the top of the cliff overlooking the river. Then you enter the castle and start climbing. Every time we face the daunting stairs, I am thankful for our morning bicycle rides. Puts you in great shape for stair climbing. Believe me, the climb is worth it. You can see the Dordogne River, the valley, the castle at Feyrac, the castle at Castelnaud and at Marqueyssac. It is an amazing view. It's hard to leave.
The little town of Beynac is strung along the Dordogne River and is made of golden sandstone so looks like a gold cobblestone village. It is great fun to climb all over the cobblestone streets and admire the buildings and flowers.
There are a couple restaurants and rides in the flat-bottomed boats called gabares. We had a lovely day there.
- Pros:Amazing views from the castle and along the river
- Cons:We had to leave . . . so sad.
- In a nutshell:Great beauty, friendly people, wonderful scenery, good food.
Beynac et Cazenac is built up the side of a cliff and is on two levels. The castle is at the top (of course; castles... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Beynac-et-Cazenac Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MOST BEAUTIFUL VILLAGE OF FRANCE"
- "A Fairy Tale Setting"
- "Stunning area on the Dordogne River"
- "Another Dordogne River-Edge Site"
- "Beynac and its castle"
- "Climb uphill from Beynac-et-Cazenac"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beynac-et-Cazenac
- Hotels in Beynac-et-Cazenac
- Restaurants in Beynac-et-Cazenac
- Shopping in Beynac-et-Cazenac
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beynac-et-Cazenac
- 2 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Beynac-et-Cazenac?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beynac-et-Cazenac
- Posted in Travel Aix-en-Provence Forum "Re: Park in Aix"
- Commented on one of kathymof's Beynac-et-Cazenac travel pages
- updated a Beynac-et-Cazenac Travel Page "Stunning area on the Dordogne River"
- Wrote a Review Always take a walk in Beynac-et-Cazenac Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Always take a walk"
Photos in Beynac-et-CazenacSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 101 reviews, 334 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 31 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Carcassonne Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue