"Bourges, Cathedral and Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Bourges by Beausoleil
Bourges Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 136 photos
I'm sure you've heard that gargoyles are decorative ways to move water off the roof of a cathedral so it won't damage the inside of the walls. I believed it but never saw it in action until Bourges. We were inside the cathedral on a cold damp day when suddenly it sounded like a waterfall outside. We all walked over to the porch and it was pouring rain. It was coming down in sheets and we were all trapped inside the church . . . not a bad place to be trapped. I grabbed my trusty camera and got a shot of a very efficient gargoyle doing his job magnificently.
Let's hear it for working gargoyles!
It was a very cold, windy, rainy day and no one was out in the streets. If it had been a sunny day, this shop would have been full of people. The candy was so beautiful.
It was pouring rain and we were hungry. We left the cathedral and just started walking. There were few people about and this was the first restaurant we saw that appeared open.
We walked in and there were four local men and a very enthusiastic waitress. Since we brought the total of lunch customers to six, she was very happy to see us. Due to the weather everyone was very welcoming and friendly. The food was excellent and very reasonable. The only down side was the "facilities" were of the footprint variety, i.e. Turkish, but nevertheless spotless. All in all it was a fun lunch.
- Pros:Picturesque town and magnificent cathedral
- Cons:It does rain . . .
- In a nutshell:Welcoming and friendly and especially lovely when the sun shines!
Gargoyles are cute and they get great press but they are there for a purpose. We were visiting St. Etienne in Bourges... more travel advice
St. Etienne is one of the outstanding cathedrals in Europe. One of the interesting things to me was that the cathedral... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Bourges Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bourges, Cathedral..."
- "A Class Cathedral and A Rich Man's Palace"
- "Small Town, Grand Cathedral"
- "Bourges, Cathedral and Town"
- "A city rich in history........"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bourges
- Hotels in Bourges
- Transportation in Bourges
- Nightlife in Bourges
- Restaurants in Bourges
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bourges
- 4 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (162)
Have you been to Bourges?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bourges
Photos in BourgesSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 101 reviews, 334 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 31 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Nice Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues