"Visit on a holiday if you can." Brantôme by Beausoleil
Brantôme Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 75 photos
The Benedictine Abbey of Brantôme was founded in 769 on order of Charlemagne in honor of Saint Pierre (Peter) and Saint Sicaire. It is particularly interesting to visit the "troglodyte" part of the abbey that was carved out of the cliff. Of course you are in cave country so it all fits into the theme.
The cloister and church are worthy of a visit and the clock tower is hard to miss since you can see it all over town.
We were there two days before May Day which is Labor Day in France and a major holiday so they were setting up a carnival between the abbey and the river. It was great fun but didn't do much for my photos. ;^)
We drove through town, across the river and followed signs to parking. This is shaded and adjacent to a canoe rental business. On a warmer day, renting a canoe would be great fun and the Dronne River is stunning.
Take the time to walk around town after you visit the abbey because the town is quaint, colorful and very friendly.
There are the usual businesses and there are tourist shops. Both are fun to visit. This quaint chocolate shop is lots of fun. We visited the local boulanger for our evening baguette and everyone there was incredibly friendly, telling us all the things we could visit in the area. (The bread was good too.)
- Pros:Beautiful village, great views, friendly people, gorgeous river
- In a nutshell:This would be a fun base for the area and quiet at night.
We drove up to Brantome from Domme, a long trip, visited the Abbey and were hungry. We looked at the beautiful Moulin de... more travel advice
The tower is between the Abbey and the Renaissance Pavilion with a lovely view on the Dronne River. There is a walkway... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Brantôme Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Visit on a holiday if you can."
- "A Fine Site to Withdraw To"
- "A Little Gem in the Périgord Vert"
- "Brantome - the Venice of the Perigord"
- " BRANTOME "
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brantôme
- 5 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (156)
Have you been to Brantôme?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brantôme
Photos in BrantômeSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 101 reviews, 334 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 31 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Carcassonne Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue