"Caen in Normandy" Top 5 Page for this destination Caen by Beausoleil
Caen Travel Guide: 142 reviews and 374 photos
You have to remember Caen was virtually destroyed in World War II so much has been rebuilt and much is new construction. There is an old center but not nearly as large as some other cities further south.
You can walk these streets, walk to St. Pierre, walk to the Chateau and to both the Abbey for Men and Abbey for Women. There is excellent bus service and they have a very lively market on the pier Sunday mornings.
This is an imposing fortified wall in the center of Caen. It's a bit of a surprise to walk through the gates and find the chateau missing. The fortifications remain but the chateau was destroyed.
Instead you will find a pleasant Fine Arts Museum, a Museum of Norman Life, the Chapel of St. George that is now used for exhibits, an archeological dig and a fairly large parking lot.
All of these are worth a visit and the art museum has a very nice cafe with outdoor seating . . . weather permitting.
When you walk out the front of the Chateau, this view of St. Pierre is framed for you. Walk across the bridge, down the hill, across the street and into the church. They usually have a docent inside the church who will give you the history of the church.
The church has a curved apse very reminiscent of the cathedral in Quimper. There is also wonderful stained glass, especially if the sun is out.
- Pros:Small but pleasant old town area, nice abbeys, friendly people
- Cons:Much rebuilding since WWII and not always attractive
- In a nutshell:Worth a visit for the Peace Memorial alone!
There are two major abbeys in Caen, one is L'Abbaye-aux-Dames and the other one is (you guessed it) L'Abbaye-aux-Hommes.... more travel advice
Directly across the street from the chateau is Eglise St. Pierre. It has a slightly curved apse so is particularly... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Caen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "William The Conquerer is here"
- "Caen, 'the battlefield'"
- "Caen in Normandy"
- "A Very Old City with a Modern Dress"
- "Caen -- Sword & Juno Beaches"
- "A Caened Taste of Western France"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Caen
- Hotels in Caen
- Transportation in Caen
- Nightlife in Caen
- Restaurants in Caen
- Shopping in Caen
- Warnings and Dangers in Caen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Caen
- 11 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 31 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (156)
Have you been to Caen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Caen
Photos in CaenSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 101 reviews, 334 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 31 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Carcassonne Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue