"Chambord the Large" Chambord by Beausoleil
Chambord Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 303 photos
We were staying southwest of Orleans and decided to drive to Chambord since we hadn't yet seen it. The countryside coming from that direction is a bit flat so when you round a bend in the road and see the huge chateau ahead, it is pretty overwhelming.
Consider this was built as a hunting lodge! Wow.
The grounds are extensive and there is a marvelous equestrian show. If you arrive before the show, you will see costumed riders throughout the grounds giving you a preview . . . and hoping to entice you to the show.
The chateau itself is not well furnished but is most famous for the double helix staircase inside and the walk on the rooftops. Both are worth the trip. The day we were there, many costumed enactors were both inside and outside the castle and the children seemed to be enchanted.
There are costumed riders on the grounds and by the ticket booths. You can talk to some of them and see the horses up close and personal.
There were also riders not associated with the show in normal riding dress and you could sign up for horse and carriage rides through the estate. There were people having picnics on the grounds and others out for an afternoon walk.
Ordinarily drainpipes are not of particular tourist interest. However, in France this is not so. We've found the most interesting drainpipes in the oddest places. We found a lovely green ceramic molded drainpipe in Collioure and this cast iron marvel at Chambord. Normally, I say, "Look up" when traveling. In some instances it does pay to look down. This was actually on the roof at Chambord draining from a higher turret. Fun.
Visit the Official Chambord Web site for schedules and prices. Official Web Site for Chateau Chambord
- Pros:Very ornate, large and lots of tourist activities.
- Cons:Very ornate, large and lots of tourist activities.
- In a nutshell:If you want to visit Loire chateaus, you must visit this one.
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Chambord Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Royal experience, yes!!"
- "Chateau de Chambord"
- "Moscow - Chambord"
- "Fairytale Chateau."
- "Sharrie's Chambord Facade"
- "Château de Chambord"
- "Our First Glimpses of the Chateau of Chambord"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chambord
- Hotels in Chambord
- Transportation in Chambord
- Shopping in Chambord
- Warnings and Dangers in Chambord
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Chambord
- 1 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Chambord?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chambord
Photos in ChambordSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 327 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 31 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Carcassonne Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue