"Come for the Cathedral - Stay for the Town." Chartres by Beausoleil
Chartres Travel Guide: 194 reviews and 739 photos
This is why we first went to Chartres. We had read about and studied the cathedral and we wanted to see it. We've made four or five trips to Chartres at this point and every time I see these two mismatched spires against the sky, I am thrilled.
We were there three times before we realized you could walk the labyrinth. It had been covered with chairs the other times. It's only uncovered on Fridays.
See my Cathedral Travelogue!
Face the Cathedral and walk around the corner to your left through the large iron gate and into a lovely little park beside and behind the cathedral. Hidden in the park is a lovely Beaux-Arts Museum.
There are trees and walking paths and nice benches where you can sit and write your postcards.
In the old town many shopkeepers have very interesting signs. They let you know what is inside even if you can't read . . . and many people couldn't read when the businesses started 1000 years ago!
It's fun to look at the signs and see if you can figure out what is inside before you look at the modern signs made for us.
- Pros:Charming medieval section, glorious cathedral, nice museums
- Cons:None that we could see.
- In a nutshell:After you've seen the cathedral, take time to visit the rest of the town. There are other lovely churches and several museums.
The Chartres Tourist Office is right in front of the famous cathedral. Stop inside and get a map of the town and ask for... more travel advice
If you walk around to the back of the Cathedral Notre Dame, there is an unexpected garden in the rear. Directly behind... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Chartres Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Piece of the Medieval World"
- "Chartres' Cathedral"
- "Our Lady of Chartres"
- "Chartres Cathedral"
- "The Town in the Shadow"
- "Come for the Cathedral - Stay for the Town."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chartres
- Hotels in Chartres
- Transportation in Chartres
- Nightlife in Chartres
- Restaurants in Chartres
- Shopping in Chartres
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Chartres
- 4 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (124)
Have you been to Chartres?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chartres
Photos in ChartresSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 89 reviews, 285 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 27 reviews, 139 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos
- Tourette-sur-Loup Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos