"Chateauneuf-en-Auxois in Burgundy" Châteauneuf by Beausoleil
Châteauneuf Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 56 photos
You drive through lovely Burgundian countryside, cross the Canal de Bourgogne eventually seeing signs for Chateauneuf-en-Axois (or just Chateauneuf) in Burgundy. You turn and then you see it sitting high on a hill. It's small but from the bottom of he hill it looks very imposing.
Drive up the hill and around the town to parking at the very top. It's marked with the usual large white P in a blue sign. There are marked hiking trails leaving the parking lot or you can follow the road between stone walls through the village gate into town.
The houses are stone; there are carvings above doorways and windows; doors are beautifully carved wood; flowers grow from every conceivable space. It is lovely.
There is a chateau in the process of renovation. It is definitely worth a visit to see the parts already finished and to see the ongoing renovation process.
You can eat beside the chateau but we had a lot more fun up the street at Au Marronnier, a very small casual cafe with outdoor seating. I had an excellent duck and can't wait to go back. (See my restaurant tip under my Beaune Travel Page.) It is not a gourmet restaurant, just for folks and very low prices with excellent service and excellent food.
The flowers look incredibly bright against the grey stone of the village. It is a striking contrast. The views from the edge of town were magnificent. This is a great day trip from either Beaune or Dijon or if you are barging on the Burgundy Canal.
- Pros:Incredibly beautiful
- In a nutshell:Peaceful, historic, beautiful and excellent nearby hiking
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Châteauneuf Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chateauneuf-en-Auxois in Burgundy"
- "What's on a hill"
- "Chateauneuf-en-Auxois - Bourgogne Castle town"
- "Small medieval village"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Châteauneuf
- 1 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (146)
Have you been to Châteauneuf?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Châteauneuf
Photos in ChâteauneufSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 327 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 31 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Carcassonne Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue