"Cluny in Burgundy" Cluny by Beausoleil
Cluny Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 78 photos
We used to sing a song in grade school, "Princess Marie was watching from her tower" and this is the tower I always imagined. There is ample free parking around the edge of the village of Cluny and then you walk in to visit the Abbey and grounds. In season there are abundant flowers.
This is the Abbey church . . . or what is left of it. Be aware that Cluny's church which was the largest in Christendom until the building of St. Peter's in Rome, is largely a ruin today. After the French Revolution the church was used as a stone quarry and Napoleon didn't help when he used much of the stone to build a haras or National Stud for his horses.
Two convent buildings and the Abbey Palace were spared and now house the Ochier Museum, a collection of remains and models of the former monastery and the medieval village. You can also visit the Chapel of Jean de Bourbon, a lovely gothic chapel with stained glass that glows in the sun.
We visited Cluny as a day trip from Beaune where we were camping and here is my journal entry that day: Parked the car — for once there was plenty of parking — and bought tickets to the Abbey Museum and Abbey. We spent the morning wandering the grounds — and being gently chastised when we accidentally wandered into an unmarked “forbidden” area. The lady announced it was, “interdit — strictly forbidden.” Oh well . . . .
We had a light lunch at a sidewalk café in the shadow of the Abbey, then walked around (literally) town to our car and started back to camp.
- Pros:Lovely quiet town with restaurants and shopping
- Cons:A little out of the way, but to us, that lends charm.
- In a nutshell:Lovely village in lovely countryside and a part of Burgundy that many people don't see.
We weren't there on a Saturday so I don't have a photo but there is a market in the central square every Saturday... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Cluny Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cluny: Horses,History ,Food and Wine"
- "Cluny in Burgundy"
- "Tourists, tourists everywhere"
- "Site of the Once World's Largest Catholic Church"
- "My Cluny"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cluny
- Hotels in Cluny
- Transportation in Cluny
- Restaurants in Cluny
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cluny
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (253)
Have you been to Cluny?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cluny
Photos in ClunySee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 131 reviews, 491 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 33 reviews, 160 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Avignon Intro, 12 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nice Intro, 13 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos