"American Military Cemetery at Omaha Beach" Colleville-sur-Mer by Beausoleil
Colleville-sur-Mer Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 70 photos
We chose a strange day to visit the American Cemetery in Normandy. It started a bit cloudy with a rainbow in the distance; cleared for a sunny market in Bayeux; poured rain in Port-en-Bessin then cleared again as we approached the American Military Cemetery.
We were treated to this beautiful rainbow as we walked through the cemetery along the cliff overlooking Omaha Beach. It seemed very appropriate, as though the rainbow had been planned for the experience.
Later we packed into the chapel opposite the Memorial as it poured again. That over we continued through the cemetery and out to our car. As we drove away, we were treated to a double rainbow, one of few that we have seen.
Visiting the cemetery is an overwhelming experience. You look out over Omaha Beach and you know what happened there. It was horrible as wars always are. Then we looked up at the rainbow offering hope. The rain fell renewing the earth. And finally, you realize what a very peaceful place this is. The sun, wind, sea, flowers, trees and quiet thoughtful people all combine to make this a place of rest and peace . . . and remembrance.
There are many military cemeteries for many countries in this area. We stayed in Cauvicourt near a Canadian Military Cemetery lined with beautiful Canadian maple trees. It was October and they were in full color.
Lest we forget . . . or reverting back to the 1960s, "When will we ever learn . . . When will we ever learn."
- Pros:Very moving
- Cons:The obvious loss. So sad.
- In a nutshell:You see the price of war.
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Colleville-sur-Mer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "American Memorial Sites in Normandy, France"
- "Requiescant in pace"
- "American Military Cemetery at Omaha Beach"
- "D-Day, Omaha beach and the price of liberty"
- "Right Place But All Wet!"
- "Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial"
- "Remembering D-Day"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Colleville-sur-Mer
- Hotels in Colleville-sur-Mer
- Restaurants in Colleville-sur-Mer
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Colleville-sur-Mer
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Colleville-sur-Mer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Colleville-sur-Mer
Photos in Colleville-sur-MerSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 327 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 31 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Carcassonne Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue