"Collioure - Art and the ocean" Collioure by Beausoleil
Collioure Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 252 photos
This has got to be one of the nicest towns on the Mediterranean southwest coast of France. There are two lovely beaches right in the town. You can wander the colorful streets or visit the Chateau. There are museums, restaurants and the train station nearby.
For a day trip or for a month, this is a lovely place.
They were having a naval exercise the day we visited but we were allowed to visit the chateau. It was quite warm so the walk inside the thick stone castle walls was incredibly cool and comfortable.
The views from almost anywhere are gorgeous.
Update: We've returned several times and they seem to have the naval exercises quite often. We've never asked but they almost look like rescue-at-sea exercises and are fun to watch.
You can walk out on the breakwater to visit a tiny chapel. It is definitely worth the walk to get the harbor views. There is a nearly identical beach on the other side. It was warm and wonderful that day with a good stiff ocean breeze and some lovely large sailing craft going in and out of the harbor.
The gelato in town was also wonderful!
- Pros:Beaches, chateau, art museums, galleries, town, etc.
- Cons:None that we saw. There was even parking!
- In a nutshell:Lots to do, good food, good art, good views, great village
It is hard to resist painting this scene. There are metal frames all over Collioure that frame views famous artists have... more travel advice
On a very hot day we truly enjoyed walking through the earthen tunnel entrance to the chateau. It was delightfully cool... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Collioure Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Collioure -Jewel of the Vermeille Coast"
- "Collioure ... un site ravissant et unique !"
- " Collioure "
- "Collioure - Art and the ocean"
- "The Bay...of Collioure"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Collioure
- Hotels in Collioure
- Transportation in Collioure
- Restaurants in Collioure
- Shopping in Collioure
- Warnings and Dangers in Collioure
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Collioure
- 4 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (124)
Have you been to Collioure?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Collioure
- Posted in Travel France Forum "Re: Trip around France"
- updated a Collioure Travel Page "Collioure - Art and the ocean"
- Uploaded a Photo to "You can always do another painting . . ."
- Wrote a Review You can always do another painting . . . in Collioure Things to Do
- Commented on one of ranger49's Collioure travel pages
Photos in CollioureSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 89 reviews, 285 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 27 reviews, 139 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos
- Tourette-sur-Loup Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (82)
Latest Collioure hotel reviews
- Relais des Trois Mas et Restaurant La Balette
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 20, 2013
- Les Templiers Collioure
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Le Bon Port
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 15, 2013
- Hotel Triton
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 28, 2012
- Casa Pairal Collioure
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Les Caranques
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013